New Build Almost Done

P

poppajacksbbq

First off, hold off on extreme criticism! I am a computer guy by trade, and professional amateur smoker (haha) on the weekend! My welding skills where first learned about 7 months ago welding a small box together among a few other small things I practiced on. My uncle let me use his stuff, but wouldn't lift a finger, although he eventually held some things for me!

So at first I was just going for a big charcoal grill, then switched direction to an offset smoker. I have had the tank someone gave to me a while back. They had a couple holes and the lid cut out already cut out...but no legs as seen in the pic. It is a 120 gallon propane tank. So far I am pretty happy with the turn out. It is almost complete. So without further ado…

0124111001.jpg

Here I added legs and old wheels I found laying around.

0124111001a.jpg

The hole already cut on the end

0124111724.jpg

started the firebox, filled in some of the hole. I ended up cutting it out
more later on, not higher but wider.

0526111714a.jpg

Firebox is 24" x 24"x 24". It is air tight when the door
is closed!

0526111714.jpg

Added a shelf to the front and side, dual stacks, wider base, 8" caster wheels
charcoal grate below the told grate, heat dispenser plate above the firebox hole inside the actual grill.

Next up is a test smoke for Memorial Day. Then I will do some touch up, paint, enjoy until winter, then may build another and try again!

What's the railing around the top of the firebox? I like having a flat, open area on top of the firebox so I can set my cast iron skillet and tea pot there for breakfast in the morning.

Nice job on building it - I've never touched a welding unit. That firebox also looks really square which is probably why it's so airtight. Did you hold the pieces together with some kind of a jig? Or use clamps?

I got me a 120v and a 220v mig Welder with gas and thought it's about time I made one. Nice Q man!

not bad for a software weinie, but you should have consulted with a hardware guy, he would have told you the correct way to do it :biggrin1:

seriously, awesome. I'm wanting to make one bad, and it would look like crap, but my crap.

Back