Grass fed beef/briskets

TRS

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Anyone ever use grass fed briskets in comps? I have a few being sent to me to try. Commerical ranch that serves restaurants and 2 large grocery chains.
Avg weight is approx 10 lbs (packers) so on the small side. I have had grass fed beef and the taste is great. One concern is less fat. Owner told me to cook low and slow, which I do. They are Angus breed and I assume they grade out as select but need to check. I prefer choice but willing to gives these a shot. Strictly pasture/grass fed. No growth hormones added and no antibiotics, ever.

Anyone have any input on pure grass fed beef?

Thanks,

I'm not an expert by any means but I am told that "grass fed" is the lower quality. The higher quality beef is grain fed for a period prior to killing and butchering, not sure of the time frame. I read that the marbling in grass fed does not match the quality of the marbling in grain fed and grass fed normally has a stronger flavor that some don't care for. I am also told that grass fed will have a yellowish fat cap and grain fed will be more white colored. I am interested to hear what your experience is and what you think after trying it.

Mmmm....I love grass fed and finished beef but I would imagine it's too lean for what we're trying to accomplish at the judging table.

Great... this pisses me off... first there was no garnish for brisket (ala Texas) as it should be, then kale or something, then farkin parsely.... all the clipping and vaccuuming. NOW GRASS???????????????????? St. Augustine or Bermuda? This garnish crap is getting out of hand.

I have been cooking grass-fed briskets and have found the end product to be excellent. The ones I have done have turned out just as good as choice. They have been smaller (10 lb packers would be about right), with a more intense beef flavor and good texture. Pull is good, texture can get tender like any brisket. They lack the fat of a choice packer or wagyu, but, they have plenty of connective tissue, which is moisture. I get mine from Eel River Beef.

Back