production of smaller more affordable Midnight Smoker

B

brewman114

I have recently been getting some requests for a smaller version of my Midnight Smokers. So I scaled everything down to what is now a 24 inch X 16 inch smoke chamber which has two racks in it for cooking on. The top rack will be just a shade under those dimensions but will still have about 700 sq. inches of cooking area. So I guess my question is this. Is that big enough for the average user or do people want more room than that. My larger model has 12 sq foot of cooking area. Is the smaller dimension too dramatic of a step down? Or is that about the right size for the average person out in the backyard on a Saturday. The reason I am asking this here is because I want to go into production of these on a bigger scale and try to find distributors for the product. Before I do that though I want to make sure the size of the smoker will be catered toward the majority of the demographic. I will still be building the bigger versions of the smoker too but with requests for a smaller one coming in it appears that the bigger ones just don't fit into most peoples budget. I am one of those guys that is in that boat for the most part. So all my smokers are priced way below the market value. I just like being able to provide an awesome product, made in the US, and handcrafted for the consumer. To all you other guys out there building high quality smokers in the US, KEEP IT UP!!! Keep your talent at work in the US. I hate seeing v4!!-mart get all the business and the money going to the other side of the pacific.

Let me know your thoughts, concerns or recommendations.

Thanks

Ive seen your smokers and I am more than impressed with them. THe smaller smoker is probably more suited for a family. 24 x 16 should be enough for a femily meal and from where I sit catering to the masses is more profitable than catering to a select group. What is the price point of the new smoker?

I'm an egghead, so I will give you some data points from that perspective.

An XL BGE has a grid surface area of 452 square inches, and costs about $1000. There are accessories available that enable a 2nd grid surface of 360 square inches for about another $100. That would be about 812 square inches for $1100.

A lot depends on the price point you are trying to hit.

Don

Well to answer the price questions. I am pushing around the 600 dollar mark for retail. give or take a few bucks depending on the outcome of the material costs.

will just be a smaller version of these smokers

2010-07-22202018.jpg

front.jpg

Nice smoker. I love the huge smoke box. The only thing I don't like about mine is the box is too small and I have to add fuel way to often for those long smokes...

what is the timeframe to see the final product??? I would love to have one for christmas (hope my wife reads this)

This is a great smoker. After speaking to Matt today, we will be a Dealer Soon!

Back