1st Smoked Chicken on the Char-griller (w/Q-view)

M

Mirage_Man

Just finished up some chicken quarters and a beer can chicken on the Char-griller. Everything came out wonderful. I did have a heck of a time keeping the temp up above 225 though. I can't wait to get my UDS built so I don't have to babysit the smoker!

Anyway, here's my first attempt at some Q-view. Click-able thumbs below.

Them chickens look great. If you were cooking at 225 according to the chargriller stock thermometer then you should know that you were probably actually cooking at more like 300

good looking bird there Mirage Man.
my first smoker was a Char-griller. I used it for several years,now mostly just as a grill.
i have two bits of advice -
1. don't trust the factory thermometer.............you may well have been at a higher temp than it read.
2. get that UDS built - i built mine in July, and have run a lot of great food through it.
The UDS is the reason my Char-griller feels neglected. It is so much easier to use, and so much more fuel-efficient, there is almost no comparison between the two.

Dang good looking chicken, really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats some fine looking chicken, you did a good job. The UDS is great just get it set to temp and walk away, you'll like it. I haven't posted any prone yet but been using mine for a few weeks now. turned out some awesome pp yesterday

Thanks guys. I have 2 River Country thermometers, one at each end of the lid just above grate level. I eventually set up a fan blowing into the fire box to goose the temps. That did the trick but what a pain!

Great looking Chicken. I got so tired of trying to maintain the temp on my char-griller duo, I sold it, and bought a WSM, and have not looked back since.

Back