Chicken/Sausage Jambalaya

boatnut

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
First try at making up batch of Chicken/homemade andouille sausage Jambalaya tonight. De-boned a young fryer for the chicken. I followed a recipe from Emeril's "real and rustic" cookbook. Onion, green bell pepper,bay leaf, salt, cayenne, rice and I threw in some of my homemade Tasso. Had plenty of heat, probably due to the Tasso, but hit the spot!! Hope some of you Louisiana folks can chip in and tell me if it at least LOOKS like Jambalaya!

Last edited:
Well, the Jambalaya I'v eaten in N.O. is darker in color, but if it tastes good, go for it.

It looks good to me. I would call it jambalaya, although I am not a Louisiana type person.

Well, the Jambalaya I'v eaten in N.O. is darker in color, but if it tastes good, go for it.

Most pics that i've seen on the 'net, it shows as darker too. I googled some more recipes and noticed a lot call for diced tomatoes to be added. It also mentions "making sure the meat and veggies are good and brown before proceeding with adding rice/water/stock etc. Perhaps I wasn't as patient in this step as I should have been. Oh well...it's all a learning experience!

Some years ago I got into a 'discussion' about etoufee and jambalaya with a gal who was a chef from Louisiana, she insisted that her etoufee and jambalaya was authentic to her experience, I told her that I though her Jambalaya was too light and the etoufee was too thin. She explained that I am talking about a regional food made my many people in many styles, it did not adhere to the strict conventions. She suggested I consider the culture of the people who created the food.

I learned a lot taking that advice, to me, there is no such thing as one jambalaya, gumbo or etoufee, there are variations in every region and family, e.g. gumbo, gumbo file and gumbo z'herbes, all are gumbo, all are distinct.

Some years ago I got into a 'discussion' about etoufee and jambalaya with a gal who was a chef from Louisiana, she insisted that her etoufee and jambalaya was authentic to her experience, I told her that I though her Jambalaya was too light and the etoufee was too thin. She explained that I am talking about a regional food made my many people in many styles, it did not adhere to the strict conventions. She suggested I consider the culture of the people who created the food.

I learned a lot taking that advice, to me, there is no such thing as one jambalaya, gumbo or etoufee, there are variations in every region and family, e.g. gumbo, gumbo file and gumbo z'herbes, all are gumbo, all are distinct.

well...I reckon' that makes sense. did you "get into " anything else? damn....penalty box again! :tongue:

No D@mmit! She was purty, purty like those creole gals can be. Of course, she was married too.

Taste is key, but as with BBQ...we have a tendency to eat with our eyes first.

It looks a bit light in color to me, but if it tastes good then it's good to go.

I brown the crap out of my sausage and chicken before adding the other ingredients.

In fact, I put a little extra oil in there to fry the meat and then drain the oil before adding the other ingredients. Another way to brown it up good is to use a dark chicken stock or tomatoes.

Looks good, but definitely be darker. Hey as long as you liked it,why worry about the color. My gumbo is a deep dark brown, but not everyone likes it as dark as i do.

I know I'm going to get a lot of crap for this, because the real deal cajuns that I've met from down in Lafayette and Crowley say real jambalaya doesn't have tomato sauce in it, but I've tasted it both ways, and both are really tasty. That being said, I like putting a combination of tomato sauce with chicken stock and diced tomatos, and then your usual celery, onion, bell pepper, and spices. Then cook my rice in with that tomato base. Yummm! SO GOOD

I know I'm going to get a lot of crap for this, because the real deal cajuns that I've met from down in Lafayette and Crowley say real jambalaya doesn't have tomato sauce in it, but I've tasted it both ways, and both are really tasty. That being said, I like putting a combination of tomato sauce with chicken stock and diced tomatos, and then your usual celery, onion, bell pepper, and spices. Then cook my rice in with that tomato base. Yummm! SO GOOD

Tomato sauce is a definite no-no as far as i'm concerned in a jambalaya, but different strokes for different folks.

Back