Hatch Chiles

yelonutz

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
A week or so ago I read the post by Norcoredneck about the Hatch Chiles. That got me all fired up and I went on a search. I had the local grocery store order me some. He said how much? I replied, a case please. Well it turns out a case is 25 lbs.
Oh well, since I don't have a job I had nothing better to do.
First step, clip off them stems. They will go between the bars on the grill and get tangled up.
When you have 15-20 on the grill at the same time that matters!.
I built a hot fire on the WSM and just used the bottom bowl with the grill.
Blacken them all over and then place in a heavy pot with lid and allow to steam.
Then i put them in bags without peeling them, sucked em down and froze them.
You will need to defrost them, peel and deseed them and also remove the tops.

Enjoy, I have a least a years worth and will do it again next year!!

Thanks Norco, but I am going to quit reading your posts. I am retired now and this was a lot of work

NUTZ

Last edited:
Bringing some to the bash? Been trying to see if I can work out a way to make it.

Excellent idea. Raleys/BelAire has them on sale this week. Got to get me some more.

Central Market here in Texas has the big roasters going out front this time of the year.

A few years back I ordered a case from Hatch and ended up with a 40 pounder ($40)which was way more than I could use in a year. I ended up giving about half of the box away. That said, I roasted, grilled and sweated away the skins and all of the hair on my arms, Took me all day. Now I see all of those homemade chile roasters out there for less than $100.

Anyway, for the amount that I use and for the relatively low price, I have been buying my chiles already roasted. I will get a couple of pounds and be happy with that. I will probably stop by today and get some.

Last Saturday, I did go by the Central Market and they had a bunch of recipes that they had cooked up utilizing the chiles. I did buy some unroasted chiles to make a salad with, Here is the recipe. Even my kids loved it.

Mango diced
Jullianne slices of Hatch Chiles
Watermelon Vinegarette (I used Marie's Lowfat vinegarette and it worked about the same.)
Spring mix
(I also added some cilantro which I think made it even better than the recipe that they used)

We order 3 boxes like that every year and usually just barely make thru till the next harvest. When the chile's come off the grill just pop the whole lot in a big trash bag to sweat then when they cool off you can bag em up. My wife grew up in Albuquerque and there is not much that can't be improved with a little green chile.:-D

Back