Bbq guru dx2 ramp mode cook

grantw

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
1F4F1B83-9A9A-43FC-B77F-9D9902FFE265_zpsswmdgaik.jpg

A round trip to work for me is 10 hrs minimum so i thought id see how how good the ramp mode would work while i was gone today 😳. The meat went in this morning at about 6:30am went to work and got home at 630 pm to this. Pretty darn good if ya ask me. It was done in a back woods party

The water pan started out full and it pretty much spent all the water

Used just over 1lbs of mequite mixed with apple

Did ramp mode work or did your party just run out of fuel as well?

I love the ramp down mode, it's added insurance on a long overnight cook or when you have to leave the cooker for an extended time.

The pork looks great, how hot was it when you arrived home? Looks like there is still smoke in the cooking chamber..

It didnt run out of fuel by anymeans i made a charcoal basket extension, i pulled my guru off when i pulled the meat but left the dampers open a bit to try soak the water pan a little so i can clean it out, its 830 here now and its still chugging along at 200 and a half full pan of water. The set temp of the unit was 250 the guru had it ramped down to 225 when i got home, the temp of the meat was 200, the temp i set on the guru for food done temp was 203

Its now 10pm here without guru on there and the fire is now dying 175 deg f. That extended coal basket is amazing

I only say that because I find it tough for a guru to bring an insulated pit down in temp at any significant speed.

it does seem to work, there was still lots of fuel, im doing this again for sure the cook went very well

Just got a guru last weekend and did a butt, nice little gadget. Waiting on it to bring up my smoker right now for one more competition practice run on a brisket this time. I was curious about the ramp mode. So it basically brings the smoker down so your food hits the target temp and holds?

Yes thats exactly what it does, as the meat temp rises the guru backs the smoker off making it more difficult to overshoot the meat doneness

Heck yeah, looks like that worked out great!!

Back