another guru question

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have a guru on a WSM. when I shut down all the vents and let the guru control the temperature I don't get thin blue smoke. When I open the top vent it doesn't seem to be able to control the temp as well. What am I doning wrong?

I've never used a Guru on my WSMs, but closing the top vent seems like a bad idea. You need someplace for the exhaust to go. Hopefully someone with experience with a guru and WSM will come along to help.

Use Minion method to light, position smoker temp probe away from food on cooking grate, leave the top vent open, close all bottom vents, set smoker temp, open vent tab on fan, done...

I have quite a bit of experience with the cooker and the Guru's. Keep top vent open about 25%, close all bottom vents other than where the fan blows in. Open your damper all the way. Don't worry about the smoke color, it will change as it warms up.

Leave top vent open all the way close the damper on the guru if temp start to jump around.. also are u using all lump?

I run a DXII on my 22.5 WSM. All of the vents are closed on the bottom. The damper on the Guru port is about 3/4 open (viper fan). I now stack the charcoal in sort of a mountain shape, only lighting about 4 coals with a handheld propane torch. I do not run the standard fire ring that comes with the WSM. I made a higher ring with #9 flat rolled and tack welded on the ends. I do not worry about smoke color.

Why do you guys open the top vent all the way with a Guru? Its a powered draft device. Let the controller/fan blow the air through the cooker. If you open the top vent all the way, you take some control away from the Guru.

Now, without a Guru, open that top vent wide open.

That is what was taught to me by Fred who invented the controller. Just trying to help.

the smoke just doesn't ever seem to be thin blue with it closed down. It puffs white smoke instead.

Why do you guys open the top vent all the way with a Guru? Its a powered draft device. Let the controller/fan blow the air through the cooker. If you open the top vent all the way, you take some control away from the Guru.

Now, without a Guru, open that top vent wide open.

That is what was taught to me by Fred who invented the controller. Just trying to help.

Follow Dan's advice

Back