A couple dumb questions about pizza on the xl bge

tasterner

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My wife got me the Red Sky pizza stone for Christmas. I can use this on my egg right? Does anyone else here use it? Do you use the plate setter with the stone? Sorry for the dumb questions, I've never attempted pizza before, so I appreciate any advice you have to offer.

No worries... How else are you going to learn?

Yes, you can use it in your Egg. and yes, you use it with the platesetter (legs down). Do you still have the little ceramic feet that come with a new Egg? I use those as spacers to hold the pizza stone above the platesetter. It creates an air gap so that the stone isn't as hot as the platesetter, which is right above the fire.

Yes use your plate setter legs down & put the green feet under your pizza stone. If you don't have the feet you can use anything to create a gap between plate setter & pizza stone some just ball up some foil and use that. Pizza off the egg is AUSOME

Yep, I got the feet, thanks for the tip! What temp do you do your pies at?

Not an XL, but you get the idea.

5781361697_b53aa6e4c7_b.jpg

I do mine at 500 - 550. We like to load up the toppings and that works out to be a nice compromise temp. It's hot enough that I get a nice crisp crust, but low enough that the pizza can be in long enough to get the toppings done. I do pre-cook things that would need a very long time to cook.

Make sure the temperature doesn't get away from you. I got my xl up to 550 then when the pizza went on it was 700+ and it got a little burnt :p

Also.....I typically get it to my desired temp, and let it ride for about an hour to really lock it in if I'm doing multiple pies (less for only 1).

And Ron made a good point, amount of toppings you use will also have a bearing on the temp you go with. Start with less, because it's typically more than you think.

Ok, thanks guys, I'm going to give it a shot. If I can get it to turn out 25% as good as Tim's I'll be feeling good. That looks incredible!

I do it way hotter, but I use home made thin light pizza base and light on the toppings, Italian style usually.
700+ and just a minute or two and perfecto!
BSK1stPizza-2.jpg

You definitely need to use the plate setter or something to shield the stone from too much direct heat. My first try was very tasty but the crust was too done. I didn't use a shield, but I will next time.

I do mine at 500 - 550. We like to load up the toppings and that works out to be a nice compromise temp. It's hot enough that I get a nice crisp crust, but low enough that the pizza can be in long enough to get the toppings done. I do pre-cook things that would need a very long time to cook.

Ron-O is correct. My first job as a teen was at a Shakey's Pizza Parlor and we used precooked sausage, bacon and beef and baked in ovens set at 500.

Back