What are Gassers Good For ..........?

I see y'all talking about how time consuming it is with charcoal.

I don't find it time consuming at all. I have a 60K BTU propane burner I got off Amazon for $50 (Bayou Classic) which I use to start my chimney. I get my chimney loaded, started and ready --red hot all the way through-- within 6 minutes; 4 more minutes to heat up the grill after I put the charcoal in.

It takes my gasser 10 mins to warm up to cook as well. About the same amount of time really.

I am using Hasty Bake lump charcoal though.. it might heat up a lot faster than Kingsford.

I love my gas grill. I use it all the time.

My plan for this winter: build a custom gas grill. I want more burner power, and a sear burner. I think a 30-gallon drum would work great, although I will probably go full-monty and build using a 55-gallon drum.

On a hot humid summer day when you don't want to use the oven and heat up the house you can often use a gasser. For anything you want to cook in a fry pan but don't want to stink up the house (blackened,) you can use a side burner.

my gasser still sees intermediate use too.

Not necessarily when I'm smoking but when I'm trying to grill on the kettle sometimes it's too windy so I just throw it on the gasser.

I've also run out fuel one time cooking a london broil on the kettle due to cold and wind so I did a quick transfer to the gasser to finish it up.

It's also good for warming hot dogs for the girls or cooking fish...I think it's somewhat pointless to fire up a half chimney or so for something that will only need to cook for 5 min or so.

It's by no means a primary cooker anymore, but it has it's uses.

I notice the same people that trash gasser , use those God awful little squares black thingy and swear they are great pitmaster,

I donated mine to a lesser cook I knew who's gasser went dead after 10yrs. I get to visit it sometimes, but as far as usage goes, I don't miss it. I only used it for an occasional hot dog or burger or something like that anyway. I can fire up a 1/3 chimney and do that on my Smokey Joe in only about 6 min more than it took the gasser to get up to temp anyways.

They have a place. I hadn't used mine all season, then we decided to do some 'quick' chicken thighs and roasting ears. I uncovered it and found about 200-300 of those little stink bugs had nested and prospered under the cover and all over the inside and outside of the gasser.:shock: Had to use the pressure washer and get everything back to 'normal'. My quick meal took longer than if I had fired up the UDS...

Back