Spatchcock Chicken Advice Needed

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 2 - 5 1/2 lb birds I am going to smoke on the UDS this afternoon and need your advice.

No time to brine for this cook.

What Temp? 250º-275º

How Long? 3 Hours

Flip? Yes/No

Wood, Pecan (that I have) or Apple if I can get some today?

Thanks in advance!

I dont flip I use hickory. For a crisper skin I would go 300-320
It done when it done but spatchcock really cook quick

Spatchcocked chicken smoked over Pecan at 325* should be done in about an hour or so!
Not enough time for me to get there so pics will be necessary!! :cool:

Spatch on a medium BGE @ 375 degree dome temp takes about an hour.
Hope this helps

Paul

Mine took an hour and ten minutes at 325 in the Backwoods last weekend. I'd go with the pecan and a 325-375 cook temp.

Spatchcocked chicken smoked over Pecan at 325* should be done in about an hour or so!
Not enough time for me to get there so pics will be necessary!! :cool:

I wish some of you all were close, you would be welcome anytime! Plus you could cook. :-D

Spatch on a medium BGE @ 375 degree dome temp takes about an hour.
Hope this helps

Paul

Every little bit helps, Thanks

It really helps me to want a BGE even more!:icon_smil

Can chicken be Toweled and cooler'd for awhile?
Or would it turn out dry?

Anywhere in the 300-350* range, and mine take between an hour or two until the internals are around 150*. Pull and let rest. The temp should coast a little more.

Probably - but I would be conerned about what that would do to the nice crispy skin you probably will have... yummmmm crispy chicken skin...

If you have to cooler it, eat the skin for yourself and let the guests eat the chicken!! :twisted:

Before you serve the chicken remove it from the bones and save them and the scraps that come off the bones including some of the skin if you don't eat it. Those smoked bones and scraps will make some killer broth for soup. When you make the broth use just enough water to cover the bones and don't add anything else to it. Just the water and bones. Let it simmer for a couple of hours keeping the water level where you started. Add the salt and spices and other things when you use it to make something. As for the taste I don't add much of anything for spice other that a bay leaf or two.

Well thanks to some help from here I pulled off my 1st Spatchcock. Legs just fell off the bird. Smoked with a mix of Pecan and Apple. Took about 1 1/2 hours @ 300º.

Had some Vidalia Onions and some BBQ Shrimp. Pics were not so good on those.

6dd5d721.jpg

981f1530.jpg

f849a539.jpg

Nice lookin' birds bro...I love pecan on birds...it's all I use now. :biggrin:

Great lookin birds!!! The pecan and apple is a great combo to use. If you can get some try using peach wood.

Back