"S" Firebasket, Lump or Briquettes??

jtfisher63

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
We have built a new "S" type charcoal basket for my offset. It is a larger version of the one I already have, the new one is about 22X22X9 in a 24" square firebox. In my older, smaller basket I used to run Rancher and it worked well. Of course now I am out of Rancher and only have access to Kingsford or RO lump. I used Kingsford a couple of weekends ago and it made so much ash I couldn't believe it. I'll need to use the new basket next weekend and don't have time to make a practice run. My question is, do you guys use lump or briquettes in you're baskets? I would run Kingsford, but I'm afraid that the ash will choke out the fire. Should I use RO lump? Does the lump tend to run hotter or burn faster? Help me out here guys.

Briquettes. Lump burns too hot and there is too much airflow. My Klose basket doesn't do well with lump. I know some guys were stacking the briqs in layers like _ _ _ then |||then _ _ _ then |||. Too much work for me. The idea is to get a tight fit. And I like to preheat myine beore adding the basket. Either with a fire in the firebox, or a weedburner.

Thanks Thillin, I may have to try Kingsford for its first run this weekend. Worse case, I guess I can shovel out some ash after a few hours. Oh, we did put sheet metal on the sides like a Klose basket. Hopefully it wil help to not allow the coals to take off. Anyone else have any opinions?

I don't use a basket, but am thinking about one for the old Brinkman... I can't remember the last time I bought kingsford except for the chuch picnic and that was for burgers and hotdogs... It just makes way to much ash...

Briquettes. Lump burns too hot and there is too much airflow. My Klose basket doesn't do well with lump. I know some guys were stacking the briqs in layers like _ _ _ then |||then _ _ _ then |||. Too much work for me. The idea is to get a tight fit. And I like to preheat myine beore adding the basket. Either with a fire in the firebox, or a weedburner.

+1

Briquettes give you a consistent uniform burn when using a basket. Most lump is to variable in size. That being said, I do include wood chunks in the briquettes for smoke.

Give the basket a shake and knock the ash below it. If now room below it, consider shortening the basket height and then raising it slightly to make room under it for ash.

I may end up raising the basket up a couple of inches. Right now the basket will sit on two rails about 2 1/2"s tall or so. I should have plenty of room the go up if I want to. The fire box is 24" tall and the basket is only 9 1/2"s tall. I can always shovel out the ashes, but I like sleep! If HD brought back Rancher I think it would solve my problems.

Jason, here in Chico we have a store called "cash and carry" Someplace on the way south they turn into "Smart and Final". They carry Lazzari lump. It comes out of San Francisco. I think it is about $12-13.00 for a fifty pound bag. If you have one of the stores check it out, I have had good luck with it in the Stumper clone. NUTZ.

Jason, here in Chico we have a store called "cash and carry" Someplace on the way south they turn into "Smart and Final". They carry Lazzari lump. It comes out of San Francisco. I think it is about $12-13.00 for a fifty pound bag. If you have one of the stores check it out, I have had good luck with it in the Stumper clone. NUTZ.
I have been wondering about that stuff. They carry it down here at the Smart&Finals as you mentioned, I might have to grab me some to try her out.

We have built a new "S" type charcoal basket for my offset. It is a larger version of the one I already have, the new one is about 22X22X9 in a 24" square firebox. In my older, smaller basket I used to run Rancher and it worked well. Of course now I am out of Rancher and only have access to Kingsford or RO lump. I used Kingsford a couple of weekends ago and it made so much ash I couldn't believe it. I'll need to use the new basket next weekend and don't have time to make a practice run. My question is, do you guys use lump or briquettes in you're baskets? I would run Kingsford, but I'm afraid that the ash will choke out the fire. Should I use RO lump? Does the lump tend to run hotter or burn faster? Help me out here guys.

If you are looking at the maximum burn time use briquettes. Lump burns much hotter and much quicker. IMHO briquettes are simply a heat source and in BBQ we smoke at temps of 225* to 250*. Because of the lower temperatures we do not need the hotter and faster lump. We are looking for longer burn times at lower temps. I don't depend on charcoal to give me smoke flavor, only heat. I use wood chuncks for flavor.

NUTZ, we have both stores here and I have seen the lump they have. My only concern is that it is mesquite lump. I'd hate to have too much mesquite flavor added from the lump.

If you are looking at the maximum burn time use briquettes. Lump burns much hotter and much quicker. IMHO briquettes are simply a heat source and in BBQ we smoke at temps of 225* to 250*. Because of the lower temperatures we do not need the hotter and faster lump. We are looking for longer burn times at lower temps. I don't depend on charcoal to give me smoke flavor, only heat. I use wood chuncks for flavor.

Same chit with us. We use chunks of wood for our smoke flavor. I'm about 95% sure we are going to go with Kingsford this weekend. I will try some RO lump maybe some time in the near future though to see how it goes.

Two ideas I see Wally World is stocking Royal Oak once more
and Kingsford with Hickory Hopefully this product is the old style
Anyone know about that???

I am told by some Lump is the way to go and others say its Royal Oak

I use Kingsford in my basket in the Bandera with no problem. I'll tap out some ash here and there and I can get to under the basket with a set of tongs to just push it to the side as it mounts up underneath. Never a problem.

Back