End of growing season jalepenõs...

If you want to tone it down but still enjoy the Jap flavor just remove the following prior to lighting the cooking fuse:

Seeds and Membrane

• The seeds are found in the center of a jalapeno pepper and are surrounded by a membrane. This membrane is where most of the capsaicin is in the jalapeno, so it is the hottest part of the pepper. The seeds and membrane can be used in cooking, but are often removed. This is done by cutting the jalapeno in half and slicing down the length of the pepper, under the pith, with a sharp knife.

If you want to tone it down but still enjoy the Jap flavor just remove the following prior to lighting the cooking fuse:

Seeds and Membrane

• The seeds are found in the center of a jalapeno pepper and are surrounded by a membrane. This membrane is where most of the capsaicin is in the jalapeno, so it is the hottest part of the pepper. The seeds and membrane can be used in cooking, but are often removed. This is done by cutting the jalapeno in half and slicing down the length of the pepper, under the pith, with a sharp knife.

I remove the seeds all the time. The seeds are bitter. There is a lot of heat in the membrane, too, and i remove it more or less, depending on the overall heat of the peppers.

This latest harvest is still scorching hot, even if i remove ALL of the membrane.

I just made a good sized batch of hot sauce/salsa. That is the best way I know of to use scorching hot peppers. It tastes good now, and will be awesome after aging for a week or two in vacuum-sealed Mason jars.

CD

Seeds and Membrane

I have read this, and also that peppers become hotter during very hot, dry growing seasons. TAM Mild Jalapeños do great in the Tyler, TX area, where my BIL lives.

We had a mild summer in Tennessee and my jalapenos were a crap shoot. Some of them got super hot. I grew 3 TAM mild plants, which were good and mild. The other regular jalapenos were great, but a few here and there were "sweat under your eyelids" hot. :twisted:

I'm also a big fan of letting them turn red before harvesting. We've had a cold snap hit, so I'm gonna go get the last of them today. It was a great long harvest this year.

Funny, I bought some in the store in August or so and posted here about the heat when I made ABTs. I was roused that I hadn't prepped them correctly, when I took every seed and all of the membrane off.

These were damn hot...but I ate every one of them.

Its a sad day when I pull my jap plants they are usually the last thing in my garden to go, I picked a grocery bag off them yesterday, time to till everything now and wait for spring. None of my peppers have been as hot this year as last. we had a lot of rain and cooler temps this year, last years were almost un bearable, my japs were hotter than any habaneros Ive ever grown :mad2:

Midwest has been really wet lately...might explain why yours are mild?
It was really wet through the end of June then it really dried up (near Chicago.) The jalapeños I've been picking lately have been scorching hot. I also selected a seed variety that was supposed to be hot. There are varieties that have been bred to be mild and it seems like that's all I find in stores these days. For recipes like Pepper Stout Beef I just cut back on the jalopies but that can't be done with ABTs.

Its a sad day when I pull my jap plants they are usually the last thing in my garden to go, I picked a grocery bag off them yesterday, time to till everything now and wait for spring. None of my peppers have been as hot this year as last. we had a lot of rain and cooler temps this year, last years were almost un bearable, my japs were hotter than any habaneros Ive ever grown :mad2:

I usually let all of mine die off so I can get the few that ripen due to frost. It is kinda sad though that they are all going away. But the first of Feb, I start all over again! :loco:

Back