Blizzard BBQ

Jaskew82

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well, its snowing pretty good and I got out of work early! :clap:

What to do, what to do on such a quiet snowy evening... :decision:

I know! Let's BBQ! Most folks outside of this forum would think I am nuts, but I know you BBQ junkies are just like me and can appreciate checking off "Blizzard BBQ" from your BBQ Bucket list.

photofeb0845519pm.jpg

So I got home at 2:15, busted out the weed burner and fired up the BGE. While that came up to temp, I prepped a rack of St. Louis ribs.

Here is my weather proof box for the cyber Q. I only use it for the temp probe (no fan) on the BGE.
photofeb0845528pm.jpg
[/URL]

Took about 35 minutes to get to 275 and on went the ribs. Threw in some apple and cherry wood for good measure and away we go!
photofeb0832036pm.jpg

photofeb0845537pm.jpg

Here we are 2 hours into the cook!
photofeb0845547pm.jpg

No snow here , but....
37 degrees all day and the BB are about ready. Uds running 275 and i'm sitting in the warm comfort of my living room watching the 732 remote and LOVIN IT!!!

Bob, I will probably lose power as well. My street loses it easily. During Sandy I was able to secure a 10,000 watt generator. I picked up 10 gallons of gas last night. I hope I don't need it!

Nice. How much snow you going to get?
We are expecting 18".

I have a 2kw generator, and also about 10 gallons of gasoline, I hope neither one of us needs it.

I do have a case and a half of beer, which will probably help more! :mrgreen:

lol Bob. I've got a few dozen bottles that could help as well. Sadly, very little beer!

Well they have been on for about 3 hours. Time to foil...
photofeb0860348pm.jpg

Nothing too complex, just a small amount of apple juice with some Plowboys Yardbird sprinkled in.
photofeb0860539pm.jpg

Back on the egg for another hour or so before getting sauced with "Hillside BBQ" sauce (my own home blend).

Well after the sun set, this is what it started to look like outside...
photofeb0871644pm.jpg

But after an hour or so in the foil, I brought the ribs inside. I cut the rack in half and sauced one side. Through them both back on the BGE for another 10 minutes to set the sauced ribs. Here they are sliced.

photofeb0872653pm.jpg

Here are the "boys"... dissappointed they didn't get any scraps. My wife and I enjoyed the Blizzard Ribs too much to share.
photofeb0883627pm.jpg

All in all, it was a good cook. First time ever doing ribs on the BGE. It worked out pretty well. I got up to temp super fast and tossed them on with little care. The weed burner got the coals lit in no more than 1 minute. It was a very easy cook. I will use the BGE more for smaller cooks like this.

What a night for your first rib cook on your BGE! Looks delicious to me. Thanks for giving me something good to look at, I'm sick of the news.

I've got about 1" of snow on the ground, I'm still waiting for the blizzard. :confused:
I have made a dent in my beer supply though! :tongue:

Back