• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smokin w/ Myron Mixon

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm really enjoying Myron's book, but I'm a little confused by the recommended temps for pork butt and brisket.

If you've read the book, can you please offer your thoughts? The temps that he is recommending you pull, wrap and store the meats seems so high that I would have assumed prior to reading the book would have resulted in overcooking the meat via the carryover heat.

Am I nuts here? I mean, who am I to question Myron Mixon?

How much of a rise in temperature of a meat can you expect after foiling and throwing it in the cooler?

Thanks!

Eric

Sometimes the meat temp will raise 10 degrees if you just place it in a cooler or cambro style carrier.

I was at a comp last weekend where Mixon was competing. As I was walking past his cooking area I glanced over at his pit. The thermometer was reading 300 degrees F.

Keep in mind that while high heat cooks take less time the internal temp of the meat has to be higher to reach tenderness than it would be cooking at lower temps. Once you remove a piece of meat from a smoker and put it in a cooler you are still cooking it with carry over heat. So, a high temp butt still takes at least 7 hours when you estimate 5 hours in the smoker and two hours resting.

Hi,

I'm really enjoying Myron's book, but I'm a little confused by the recommended temps for pork butt and brisket.

If you've read the book, can you please offer your thoughts? The temps that he is recommending you pull, wrap and store the meats seems so high that I would have assumed prior to reading the book would have resulted in overcooking the meat via the carryover heat.

Am I nuts here? I mean, who am I to question Myron Mixon?

How much of a rise in temperature of a meat can you expect after foiling and throwing it in the cooler?

Thanks!

Eric

Hi Eric,

Ain't read the book.... but I attended the JOS cooking school. Also did Johnny Trigg's and Rod Grays class... AND... I don't cook like any of them.

I much prefer to low & slo... @ about 225.

I'd suggest you study the book carefully, and then decide how Myron's technique fits with you. But keep this experience as just another chapter in the "how to" book of BBQ.

After cooking close to Myron last year in Barnesville, GA, and seeing how "late" in the morning they actually started cooking, I decided to try the "hot and fast" method. I cooked at 300 degrees for about 5 hours, or until the internal temp hit 200 degrees. When I first pulled the pork, I thought it was going to be tough - judging by the way it pulled. But once on a sandwich, it wasn't tough at all! However, if I were going to vend BBQ I would have cooked slow because it would have taken so much longer to pull the meat otherwise. Could someone please tell me why the difference? Does it have something to do with resting time(s)? I can't remember how long I let it rest for the hot and fast cook...Thanky!

I was at a comp last weekend where Mixon was competing. As I was walking past his cooking area I glanced over at his pit. The thermometer was reading 300 degrees F.

Keep in mind that while high heat cooks take less time the internal temp of the meat has to be higher to reach tenderness than it would be cooking at lower temps. Once you remove a piece of meat from a smoker and put it in a cooler you are still cooking it with carry over heat. So, a high temp butt still takes at least 7 hours when you estimate 5 hours in the smoker and two hours resting.

Good info! I wondered why the butts I cooked hot and fast weren't nearly as tender as the ones I cooked slowly, even though they reached the same internal temp.

I've read his book, but I don't have enough experience to comment on his temps. Well, I guess I have enough to say I'll stick with what I know (and that is "low and slow".)

But, I do recommend his book for the recipes. There are several for chicken I want to try. My family can't eat babyback-ribs or pulled pork EVERY weekend. (Although I could.) :-D

Last edited:
I just received my copy and after a quick scan, I can't wait to try some of the recipes and techniques.

Myron's method of cooking high and fast is not much different than cooking in an oven. Way back when, we used to cook brisket in the oven in a cooking bag or wrapped in foil on 325 with onions, carrorts, celery, etc... Always came out tender and moist.

I still think low 'n slow gets more smoke (BBQ) flavor for me.

wallace

The HOTTER you cook it the more the carryover temp will rise during the rest period.That is true with ANYTHING. If you cook a rib roast lo-n-slow it will be the same throughout.If you cook it HOT the outter ring will be WAY more done than the middle when the middle hits your desired temp.Works for some,but not for me. I'll NEVER argue with Myron or any other chef/cook.The reason people/cooks write books is to make money.PERIOD. :wink:

Ive read the book and cooked 2 9lb butts last saturday for Homecoming at church on Sunday. I followed the recipie in the book including the injection, rub and sauce. I did not glaze. Cook Temp was 275-300. The book calls for a cook temp of 250. I pulled the butts at 205* (as usual) which took about 7 hours including changing aluminum pans, etc.... total time in the uds was probably 6 hours and 15 minutes, foiled and coolered for 3 hours. When i opened the foil to pull the pork for serving, it fell apart. It was probably some of the better pork ive cooked, not the best, but very good. Clean up was very easy.

Ive start smoking higher lately, 275-300 regulary and and it isnt anything to hit 325 if im in a hurry. With a boston butt on this method i go to about 195, wrap and let rest. Always tender, and has plenty of smoke

One thing to think about. Jack old south hold alot of water to create steam they cook hot but through steam moisture stays.

I just picked up Myrons book and followed the recipe and technique for Baby Back Ribs. His technique involved marinating the ribs (actually a brine), dry rubbing, spritzing, and a final hog glaze. The rubs were cooked at 250 deg in pans throughout the entire process. Uncovered at first, then covered and steamed with Apple Juice.

I found that the ribs lacked a good smoke ring, bark, or authentic BBQ flavor. I believe this is attributed to the use of pans throughout the cook (as recommended).

I'm guessing that Myron may use shallow pans or screen stands of some sort to maximize smoke contact during the first phase of cook. I used standard, disposable oven pans.

Yield is negatively impacted by smoking at higher temperatures, we've found. For a home cook, that may not be such a problem, but for a restaurant like us (or if you're just looking to get the most out of your money) it makes a difference. When we need to speed-cook something, instead of cranking up the temperature, we use the texas crutch. Wrapping the meat in foil traps in the moisture and prevents "The Stall" by blocking any evaporative cooling effects.

In the end, I agree with the "Who am I to argue with Myron Mixon??" concept, but... we still cook 200 - 225. We also pull most of our meat off of the smoker at a lower temperature than what his book suggests. Again related to the yield issue.

Ive start smoking higher lately, 275-300 regulary and and it isnt anything to hit 325 if im in a hurry. With a boston butt on this method i go to about 195, wrap and let rest. Always tender, and has plenty of smoke

What is your average cook time at those temps?

The rubs were cooked at 250 deg in pans throughout the entire process. Uncovered at first, then covered and steamed with Apple Juice.

I found that the ribs lacked a good smoke ring, bark, or authentic BBQ flavor.

SAY WHAT?? this sounds like myrons boiling his ribs!!!

Back