My first Fattie...

D

Dink

FIRST and MOST important...THANK YOU ALL for teaching me how to do this. I can't wait to make more of them...think I will do so for a family feed this coming weekend!!

Ok...not the prettiest, and it needed to brown a bit longer, but the bacon was firm, it got done and tasted pretty good. Everyone wanted bacon cheese burgers, so I decided to try a fattie and experiment...HERE is my monsterpiece! LOL!!

I butcher my own livestock, so I have 98% lean ground beef, and smoked bacon from my own hog...made the taste AWESOME!! I pressed 2# of beef in a 1 gallon ziplock, cut the sides, seasoned with Grill Mates Gourmet Burger seasoning, Lawerys seasoned salt and parsley, added velveeta cheese and diced vidalia onions and let set. Then made a bacon weave with 2# of slab bacon. Rolled beef into log and pressed until firm. Placed in bacon and wrapped. I had a problem with the bacon not wanting to stick so I used toothpicks and placed them all along the line and kept the weave in place. I am in the process of moving and could not find my kitchen aid roaster pan with the V-shape rack, and I didn't have the time to grill/smoke it, so I placed it in my turkey roasting pan on the raised rack (Which I raised up and additional 3/4 inch by placing 4 canning rings under it). I cooked it for 2 1/2 hours at 300* in my oven. I don't know if I did it right...but here is my first monsterpiece of a fattie...IT WAS HUGE...4# of meat alone!!!!

moto_2637.jpg
moto_2636.jpg
moto_2638.jpg

moto_2639.jpg
moto_2640.jpg
moto_2641.jpg

moto_2642.jpg
moto_2643.jpg
moto_2644.jpg

Nice! I gotta get another attempt at a fatty under my belt sometime soon. I have seen so many posts about them here I'm still trying to come up with some idea that is semi-unique, which is hard to do!

Great!!! Love the "Monsterpiece" name!
Fantastic that you are using your own meat.
So many of us city dwellers would like that opportunity.
Looking forward to more posts from you, Dink!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you are a quick learner.

I want to try a breakfast one soon...Cowgirl gave me that idea. :becky:

And Laborday weekend I am going on a 5 night 6 day family reunion camping trip...planning to make several then...but gotta make a few on the grill before then so I know I can get it right!:thumb:

Beef (Moo) plus pig (Oink) = Moink. :becky:
Usually referring to an all beef precooked frozen meatball wrapped with a strip of bacon, dusted with a rub (MOINK ball) then grilled indirect 'til the bacon is done and sauced.

I LOVE your first weave! Wouldn't mind a slice myself.

That turned out way better than my first fattie. Great job!

Beef (Moo) plus pig (Oink) = Moink. :becky:
Usually referring to an all beef precooked frozen meatball wrapped with a strip of bacon, dusted with a rub (MOINK ball) then grilled indirect 'til the bacon is done and sauced.

I LOVE your first weave! Wouldn't mind a slice myself.

Moink....:doh: I live on a freaking farm, I should have figured that one out!

OK....gotta give those a try!!:thumb::thumb:

Back