Rubs with a High-Salt Content?

T

T.K.

Does anyone know from experience if you can apply Head Country or Cimarron Docs rubs to ribs overnight and without drying out the ribs because of the salt content?

Thanks

T.K. Christie
PT's Sweet Heat BBQ

I wouldn't unless you want ham bones.

I get hamcicles when I go overnight.

I never do anymore.

5 minutes before putting them on for baby backs, 30 minutes for spares.

Thats just me though.

Even with 5 minutes I am surprised at how much moisture is pulled out when there is salt present on my rub (I only use commercial rubs)

Does Head Country of Cimmaron Docs contain alot of salt? I'm not sure

If you're talking about personal taste, see willkat98's response.

However, IMHO, if you're talking competition, use low sodium/salt content
rubs, because a) some people are very sensitive to salt, and b) the judges
haven't been drinking so that their desire/need/tolerance for salt is down.

Salt is cheap, so there's usually a lot in your average rub. If you think of a rub as a dry marinade, you don't have the liquid to keep your protein moist. Then you get the heartbreak of osmosis, or hamsicles. 30 minutes ahead tops.

I agree with everyone else. Rub just before placing on smoker. Nobody I know likes hamsicles.

Thanks everyone. I was referring to competition and I don't think Head Country or Cimarron Docs have a high salt content to my tastes but I was looking for someone that may use them regularly. I know several people that season there ribs on Friday night but I have always done them while they are coming up to temp before putting them on the smoker.

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I was referring to competition and I don't think Head Country or Cimarron Docs have a high salt content to my tastes but I was looking for someone that may use them regularly. I know several people that season there ribs on Friday night but I have always done them while they are coming up to temp before putting them on the smoker.

Thanks

I've never tried Cimarron Doc's but I know Head Country is loaded with salt (as are many of the more popular commerical rubs). Personally, I can't stand the taste of HC.. too salty and garlicky for my liking.

Here's the ingredient list for HC - Salt is the # 1 ingredient at 160mg per 1/4 tsp.

Ingredients:
Salt, Dehydrated Vegetables (Garlic, Onion, Red Bell Pepper), Monosodium Glutamate, Sugar, Paprika, Spices, Natural Smoke Flavor, and No More Than 2% Silicon Dioxide Added to Prevent Caking. No Glutens.

I'm with Willkat on rubbing prior to putting the meat on. After a long time of doing it the other way, I've never noticed a positive benefit that was detectable.

I'm not sure I agree though with using a low salt rub for competition. Many of the most successful teams are using high salt rubs. the salt ends up getting offset by the very sweet sauces, honey's sugars etc that are added in later.

I have not used either of those rubs on babybacks. I prefer a brown sugar based rub for babybacks, relatively low in salt and I never put it on more than an hour b-4 it hits the cooker.

Besides the undesirable hammy taste, I have noticed overnight gives a mushy texture that doesn't firm up when smoking the meat. Just an odd texture. Maybe it's just me. Like the others have said, max of an hour, or less, before onto the smoker.

Back