• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I saw a Komodo Kamado in person today.

My old kamado might not be able to reach temps that high without blowing up. It is all original. Not bad for being over 50 years old. Paid 240.00 for it.
What I've cooked out of it? Priceless!!

I hope to keep my pits for that long! That's awesome. In my opinion you could have a million dollar pit or a home made uds or even a mini wsm don't matter what you have all that matters is that you use it and use it well! Q is only as good as the pit master behind the rig.

Holy cow the 23" ones are farking expensive, but they are pretty no doubt. I could buy two trailer smokers for that price around my parts, and probably a small one to sit at the house too.

Nothing wrong with something with a high build quality to be expensive. Most people on most forums think that a BGE is too expensive. The KK is not for them. Sorry Eggers but a BGE is an expensive glazed ceramic pot with bottom of the barrel components. The dealer you bought it from does very well. There is no value there, you are buying the name BGE. All hype. That being said it's not even insulated. Touch it at 400º and tell me about it. The KK you can touch easily at 700º and not blister your self. It's all about the airflow, common sense would dictate if you can burn less fuel to maintain your cooking temp, you will have lees airflow which means less evaporation (more retained moisture) and more time for the smoke/vapor to condense on your meat. If self opening and lots of big beefy 3/8" SS grids are not for you. Fine but don't knock it just because it's expensive or you can't afford it. I doubt there are many guys driving $100,000 cars here.. The KK is a great only for those who can afford a $4,000 to $6,000 toy, most of us can't. Kingsford Charcoal bought 20 of them for their Board of directors, plant managers and facebook give aways. The world's largest producer of charcoal's R&D team who can buy anything they want buys them it's saying something. Kingsford site says that it "represents the pinnacle of what's possible in a charcoal BBQ" nuff said!

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with something with a high build quality to be expensive. Most people on most forums think that a BGE is too expensive. The KK is not for them. Sorry Eggers but a BGE is an expensive glazed ceramic pot with bottom of the barrel components. The dealer you bought it from does very well. There is no value there, you are buying the name BGE. All hype. That being said it's not even insulated. Touch it at 400º and tell me about it. The KK you can touch easily at 700º and not blister your self. It's all about the airflow, common sense would dictate if you can burn less fuel to maintain your cooking temp, you will have lees airflow which means less evaporation (more retained moisture) and more time for the smoke/vapor to condense on your meat. If self opening and lots of big beefy 3/8" SS grids are not for you. Fine but don't knock it just because it's expensive or you can't afford it. I doubt there are many guys driving $100,000 cars here.. The KK is a great only for those who can afford a $4,000 to $6,000 toy, most of us can't. Kingsford Charcoal bought 20 of them for their Board of directors, plant managers and facebook give aways. The world's largest producer of charcoal's R&D team who can buy anything they want buys them it's saying something. Kingsford site says that it "represents the pinnacle of what's possible in a charcoal BBQ" nuff said!

Maybe not $100,000 cars, but there's plenty of people on here with $50,000 trucks and $10,000 pull behind rigs.

And also plenty of people who can whip up great food on a $50 UDS, a $79 Weber OTS, a $250 Char-griller kamado, a $1000 BGE or a $4000 KK or a $10,000 pull behind rig with big screen TV.

Let's just enjoy the process. No reason to make it a sausage measuring contest.

A lot of people here are talking about two different cookers. It is the Komodo Kamado that was the original post. www.komodokamado.com I have owned one now for 3 years and love it. It has 3 grates that are all heavy duty stainless steel. They can go in various heights, including up into the dome. You can do very large cooks. You can have it with the fire exposed, partially indirect or fully indirect. A plug is built into the cooker for a Stoker or BBQ Guru. You can also get the rotisserie basket and it fits right into the cooker.

Dennis Linkletter is the owner, he lives in Bali. He is a first rate guy and is very passionate about his product and stands behind them 100%! You have to go through him to get one. There are no other dealers. He brings them into California from Bali. He has a warehouse there and ships them around the country.

The build quality far exceeded my expectations even though it was pricey and my expectations were high. Even the way they are crated is first rate.

You can smoke cheese to grill pizza and any or everything inbetween. Any body that is considering one of these will not be disappointed with there purchase.

I also have a traeger and a gas grill but over all I use the KK. It's a conversation piece in our yard and much more attractive then my other two!

I live in Oregon in the metro area and if anyone wants to peek at one in this area they are welcome to.

Wow, sorry about the rant. Some people just seemed negative and kind of unkind to Lobsterbake. I have seen his posts on the Komodo Kamado forum and he's very excited about his purchase and going on vacation to Bali.

Have a fabulous trip and you are going to love your new KK, I promise!!!:razz:

The dealer you bought it from does very well. There is no value there, you are buying the name BGE. All hype.

That's an unfair statement. Please don't misrepresent dealers as people who make a killing selling overpriced items to people, because that's just flat untrue.

Ceramic Kamados are great all-around units - maybe the most versatile of all grills/smokers/pits. But they are inferior as smokers when compared to a dedicated smoker and it is simply insane to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for one when there are far better options out there at that price point. I'm sure the KK is really nice and appeals to the women in the family but it cooks absolutely no better than a BGE or a KJ at five times the price. I guarantee you it isn't half the smoker a basic UDS setup is.

IMO KK is sort of the antithesis of what this forum is all about. Deserves the reactions it gets.

I have no problem with others opinions or ideas. That's how we learn and figure out what appeals to us. The insults are unnecessary!

I have no problem with others opinions or ideas. That's how we learn and figure out what appeals to us. The insults are unnecessary!

I agree,
The insults are unnecessary.
But this post would have been better off in Q talk.

Read the rules about the woodpile.
You kind of need to be a bit thick skinned to hang out here.
And the mods will address the issue if they feel its gone overboard.
Much less likely here tho.

ADMIN NOTE:
1 - This IS in Qtalk.
2 - Even if its in woodpile, insulting, disrespectful or confrontational comments are not tolerated.

I know if I could justify getting one I'd be thinking of it.

If I could afford it, I'd also be looking into an Aston Martin, even though it gets you from point A to point B just as good as a Ford Fusion.. But you look down the road and see many Fusions, but no Astons. It's just the same, one is basic transportation, and the other is art.. one is mass produced, the other hand crafted.. But both do the same job.

The KK is no different, it's the exotic that the everyday person can't get.

Wait,
It is in Q talk.
I thought this started in the woodpile.

Fark in getting old.

One of the greatest freedoms of all is never having to prove your happiness to another--you just are.

...a condition of liberty that even a cranially-challenged KK owner can enjoy!

Well in my time when someone complained about a purchase I made, my response would be,I did not buy it for you, I bought it for me!! Lol

I wonder how many sweatshop kids it takes to put the tiles on one of these things?

The original op will be there for vacation. Maybe he will get to meet the staff as well and give us an update on that one.

Six pages of taunts and retorts, but only 1 measly pic of a KK??

Would love to see more pics from current owners... cooks, cookers, setups, etc. Would be educational (and enjoyable) for all I think.

Back