BBQ Brethren "Pick the 4th Ingredient" Throwdown!

Really, I tried to pick ingredients that I thought everyone could find, no dough in a tube? Dough in a can/box/bag has to be available somewhere. Of course, I would have said biscuit in a can, but, knew that many would be confused by biscuits and cookies.

This is a riff on BBQ Grail's idea of a four ingredient challenge blog posts and I think it pushes the thought process for cooking over Livefire a little farther.

Bill, are you saying they don't eat sausage gravy over canned biscuits in Australia? That is just hard to understand...

Don't feel bad Bob. That sort of ingredient is VERY American, and frankly is not really something you find outside the USA (much).. I have seen it in Hong Kong and Japan and Korea though.

All is not lost... we do have this sort of stuff, which might be close enough! Check this out and see what you think!

Cheers!

Bill

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention... no, we don't. We don't have anything specifically called "sausage gravy"... we just have gravy. Also, there is a difference in terminology.
In Australia, biscuits = cookies. The American "biscuit" has no direct translation here. Closest thing is a damper or a scone or a bun. The only reason I know this is because I've seen Brethren cooking "damper" and calling them "biscuits", so I'm used to it.

Cheers!

Bill

Damper and Gravy sounds somehow less appealing to me. I am fine with your fancy pants pastry crust in a box since you lack a sophisticated 'dough in a tube' cuisine.:p

Have you tried making Damper and sausage gravy?

Is Damper, well,.....damp? Or does it get damper when you cook it. Or, in emergencies do you plug flues with it? Or does the thought of having it depress everybody? Or do you wear them on your ears at concerts?

This of course in an effort to foster cross border harmony and understanding.

The BBQQB

Wish it would warm the fark up here so i can get out and cook. -10 tonight. Call me what you want but I prefer a little warmer.

Is Damper, well,.....damp? Or does it get damper when you cook it. Or, in emergencies do you plug flues with it? Or does the thought of having it depress everybody? Or do you wear them on your ears at concerts?

This of course in an effort to foster cross border harmony and understanding.

The BBQQB

It's called damper because traditionally, it was cooked on a dampened fire, or basically in the remaining hot ashes of a fire. There's not a lot of difference in the recipe either from the biscuits American cowboys traditionally cooked, to what our stockmen and drovers cooked. Indeed, if you took a Cowboy and a Drover from the 1800's and sent them out on a job together, they'd both be cooking and eating and working pretty much the same way. It's only the terminology that's different...:thumb:

I think cookies and gravy sounds just fine personally.

Me too! Can I have crispy bacon with that?

Cheers!

Bill

You can use whatever ingredients you feel you need to make a great entry. This could include food, or not. Perhaps you need some other items, it is not for me to judge.

Okay, since there seems to be some issue with 'dough in a tube' (and for the record, I think you are all just being food snobs) we can look at alternates. I do not want to allow making of dough how...

Wait...did I miss something? Is Southern Smoker now One-Eyed Jack or do we actually have two members from Newfoundland?

What if we allow 'dough from a box' if you are in a foreign land and cannot get dough in a tube. I mean, what civilized country does not have 'dough in a tube'. Anyway, yes, you can use other ingredients, but, must use at least the 3 specific ingredients and at least one of the optional ingredients.

Yep it's just me, I'm the only one who has a computer up here & I ain't lettin anyone else climb the pole to use it..:roll: :laugh:

Gore... it's "Newfoundland & Labrador or NL for short" as one province..:thumb:

Last edited:
Oh yeah... I forgot to mention... no, we don't. We don't have anything specifically called "sausage gravy"... we just have gravy. Also, there is a difference in terminology.
In Australia, biscuits = cookies. The American "biscuit" has no direct translation here. Closest thing is a damper or a scone or a bun. The only reason I know this is because I've seen Brethren cooking "damper" and calling them "biscuits", so I'm used to it.

Cheers!

Bill

SA--- couple of options:

Immigrants from Ireland brought this dish to Newfoundland. "Pratie Oatens" mashed potatoes mixed with oatmeal, formed into little cakes, and fried in bacon fat.

Damper Dogs; stove-top bread made from white bread dough traditionaly fried directly on the damper of the wood stove.

I'll have to get Landarc's blessing's...:thumb:

So you changed your name and did not tell anyone? That is not per the rules of harassing and mocking. Like Midnight (sun thingy) Smoker and SirPorkalot, you have to tell us and let us abuse you.

Are you telling me you don't have dough in a tube either? Really? Are Americans really the only ones in all the world that use dough from a tube?

I suspect, but can not yet prove, that Southern Smoker changed his name to One-Eyed Jack as a way to get into the Virgin Throwdown, but the mods didn't get to his request in time due to all of the general jackassery that the mods have to deal with due to winter time cabin fever.

So you changed your name and did not tell anyone? That is not per the rules of harassing and mocking. Like Midnight (sun thingy) Smoker and SirPorkalot, you have to tell us and let us abuse you.

Are you telling me you don't have dough in a tube either? Really? Are Americans really the only ones in all the world that use dough from a tube?

Oh yeah we have dough in tubes no prob with that...tofu & eggplant could be an issue just cause we're in the sticks...btw you musta been away when I rehandled myself :confused: feel free to get your licks in...:becky: :thumb:

I'm going dessert...

Sir Larry of Rocklin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps a nice key lime chicken and eggplant pot pie? Yeah, that just screams dessert... :sick:

Have a little faith my friend. The plan is taking shape...

Sir Larry of Rocklin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back