Prime Rib: "Low & Slow" or "Hot & Fast"

6b0f19bd.jpg

I've cooked them with low temps for a very long time, (even my oven ones are cooked at 250°). Three years ago when I got my first BDS, this prime rib at 225° was one of my first cooks.....

The doneness from end to end as well as across each slice will be very consistant.​

Hmmm...lookin' at Wayne's roast up there...^^^...is making me re-think my game plan...:cool: Hey Wayne, about how long was your smoke @ 250 degrees...:?:

If you're going to sear, I would recommend doing so first, rather than after the internal temp's at 120. Unless you can deliver heat at 800-1000 d.f., it will still take some time to develop a crust and heat will still be transferred to the interior of the meat. If you've already got your interior to temp and then sear, your meat could get overcooked pretty easily.

Sear first, and then cook at a temp just low enough so you get enough smoking time in.

Low n Slow. Without Question. This is for one reason only - consistency in 'doneness" across the width of the slices. I cannot stand the thought of taking such a special, expensive cut of beef and overcooking 25-50% of it. I'm talking about the band of grey meat around the exterior of the slices, that results from searing first or roasting at high temps. If the crust is not to your liking, remove the roast from heat 5-10 degrees shy of your target finish temperature, and sear at very high heat then. This process does not result in overcooking of the exterior.

Look at Bossman's pics above. That's what I'm talkin' bout.

I have to agree on low and slow. It's all about getting the same doneness across the slice, and that's the way to do it, IMO. I also prefer a salt crust, but that's another thread. :)

Hmmm...lookin' at Wayne's roast up there...^^^...is making me re-think my game plan...:cool: Hey Wayne, about how long was your smoke @ 250 degrees...:?:

JD, here is the lowdown.... It was around 5 pounds and was 2 ribs long.

61b7d9fc.jpg

I rubbed it with a Montreal style rub, which is nice and coarse.

d7f1cce0.jpg

It went on the upper grate cold with a pit temp around 225° and a couple of small chunks of pecan for flavor. I started with the fat cap down for 30 minutes then turned ribs down for about 2 hours. No other turning and no mopping was required. This picture was about 90 minutes into the cook.

6b0f19bd.jpg

At 125° internal temperature I removed and rested for 20 minutes. No end-searing was needed. The color was just right and the crust was crispy. Notice the moistness and the VERY even doneness across the slice and the moistness in the bone area.

7c5d8921.jpg

Thanks Thirdeye,
This is exactly what I wanted to know. Great detail and I'll use this method, but modify the rub. I think Master will be very happy, even without a bacon weave.

You'll get a much more evenly done by cooking it slow and low and finishing it very hot(if needed).

JD, here is the lowdown.... It was around 5 pounds and was 2 ribs long.

61b7d9fc.jpg

I rubbed it with a Montreal style rub, which is nice and coarse.

d7f1cce0.jpg

It went on the upper grate cold with a pit temp around 225° and a couple of small chunks of pecan for flavor. I started with the fat cap down for 30 minutes then turned ribs down for about 2 hours. No other turning and no mopping was required. This picture was about 90 minutes into the cook.

6b0f19bd.jpg

At 125° internal temperature I removed and rested for 20 minutes. No end-searing was needed. The color was just right and the crust was crispy. Notice the moistness and the VERY even doneness across the slice and the moistness in the bone area.

7c5d8921.jpg

now THAT is a nice piece of meat!

I prefer Hot-N-Fast...I like the red/pink center with a firm crust.
I somebody freaks out and wants theirs cooked longer....you can do it in a skillet or
back on the smoker for a bit.

If you cook it to medium or longer....there's no way to undo it.

OR cook it rare and then slice off some nice slabs and cook em like steaks on a grill to desired doneness

all this talk about prime made me go buy another one yesterday as backup.

Yea, Jewel Foodstores has choice standing rib roasts on sale for 4.99#

Alright.......

So I've decided on the "Low & Slow" approach. I agree with the whole "if it worked last year, why change now" concept that many of you mentioned. BUT......a couple of years ago, I was under the assumption that ribs were best cooked in a friggin crock pot. I didn't know any better then, but I do now. I'd have swore that the best ribs I'd ever had were either from a restaurant or my crock pot. (and I wouldn't have been wrong....then)

Like I said.....I didn't really have the ability to go "low & slow" last year.....at least without a lot of trouble (OTS only), but this year, the SSDS will allow for a much more manageable long cook.

Plus.....with that PRON that Thirdeye posted.....how can I NOT try that technique......BEAUTIFUL piece of meat!!!!:eusa_clap

Hey.....thanks a TON for all the great input. THAT'S WHY I JOINED THIS FORUM AFTER ALL!!!! You guys ROCK!:mrgreen:

Thanks and good luck to all on Christmas cooks everywhere!!!

Back