Big green Egg's and Bacon

Retired RailRoader

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I finally got my hands on a 4 pound pork belly last week. I have been wanting to try my hand at making bacon for awhile but until recently I could not find any pork bellies. I could get them at my local Restaurant Depot but I had no need for 25 plus lbs. of pork bellies. I cured the meat with a Maple syrup, Brown Sugar cure that I found in Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn. This is a great book on the craft of Curing, Salting and Smoking meats.

Here is the pork belly all slathered with the cure. I left the skin on as per the books instructions.
PICT6339.jpg

PICT6343.jpg

In a Ziplock back for a nice 7 day rest in the fridge.

PICT6344.jpg

Fast Forward 7 days later and after a thorough rinsing a cured pork belly.

PICT6346.jpg

PICT6348.jpg

PICT6350.jpg

Get the egg to 200 degrees for a hot smoke and put in 3 nice pieces of Apple chunks for smoke. Three 3 hours later the meat was pulled with a internal temp of 150 degrees.

PICT6351.jpg

PICT6352.jpg

Sliced off the skin.

PICT6354.jpg

Here is the finished product sliced and packaged.

PICT6358.jpg

PICT6356.jpg

PICT6360.jpg

I have to admit that this bacon was some of the best I have had in a long time. The bacon was not salty like you get in the package store brands and it had a nicer flavor and a aroma then the bacon we buy at a butcher. Both my wife and daughter loved it and they are looking forward to making some BLT's later this week.

Great post! As I type this, I have 9 1/2 pounds curing in the fridge downstairs. I'll be smoking it next weekend. This is my third batch. I've tried several different cures, but the maple brown sugar cure is my favorite.

note to self... do not eat the monitor.

Great looking bacon... BLT to be sure!!!

Last edited:
That IS some REALLY good looking bacon! Nice work.
I gotta try this soon.

Did you slice with a meat slicer or what?

outstanding, I want to try making bacon if I can find a package smaller than 40 pounds

Excellent Post, The thought of a BLT made with apple smoked and cured Bacon has my mouth drooling at the moment...

Way to go! My dad used to raise hogs and he used to cure hams and bacon all the time. I never cared to learn how to do it in my youth. I wish I had paid more attention. Your post reminds me of the days of hanging meat in the smoke house. Thanks!

Great looking bacon! Did you trim it a bit or went with it as is?

Looks really good.
Did you slice that with a knife or some kind of electric slicer?

I did trim the belly a little just to get rid of some of the heavy fat on the bottom. I wish my knife skills were that good to get a nice thin slice. I used an old Krups kitchen slicer to slice the meat.

Back