• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ @ the Beach State Championship - Raystown, PA Sept. 17-19th"

Bump! If I could hear soon from anyone thinking of coming with a stick burner or have the need for local woods, as to species and amounts.

Thanks!!

We have a local CBS affiliate jumping on for the media sponsor which could net us some big celebs from across the networks!

Talked to at least 4 more teams this last weekend about coming to the comp!

I guess it hasn't been posted here but we are posting a guarantied prize pot of $6k. This along with KCBS fee's, and all the extras we are securing is why the contest fee's are $300 just in case anyone is wondering. Feel free to bring up any concerns here.

We are trying to include in our contract for a classic car cruise in night. also we just signed 2 more bands to the event. The competitors will have a VIP area to view the bands which they can come and go from as needed as we understand what it takes to keep the team going!

I've been busy and have been neglecting this thread. We have a facebook fanpage where competitors, vendors, and the public can talk about what's coming up. (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hunti...he-Beach-Raystown-Lake/106207189428498?ref=ts)

We are working on a bunch of more freebies for this comp and discount meat packages for the competitors. What would you like to see in a discount package from a local butcher? This is what I am proposing as a package from one of our potential sponsors...

2 - full packer briskets, 2 - bone in butts, 4 - racks of spare ribs, 12 chicken thighs. Any other suggestions to talk to our sponsor about?

how many teams are you up to?

The onsite meat delivery sounds kinda cool, man your going the extra mile on this!!!:clap2:

Fresh in from our press release!!!

PENNSYLVANIA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP PROCLAMATION. Governor Edward G. Rendell has proclaimed Barbeque at the Beach, Raystown Lake to be a Pennsylvania state championship barbeque event. September 17, 18, 19, 2010 at Raystown Lake in Huntingdon County PA!

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Fresh in from our press release!!!

PENNSYLVANIA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP PROCLAMATION. Governor Edward G. Rendell has proclaimed Barbeque at the Beach, Raystown Lake to be a Pennsylvania state championship barbeque event. September 17, 18, 19, 2010 at Raystown Lake in Huntingdon County PA!

FARKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

FRESH IN FROM RELEASE!!

We are now an official BATTLE OF THE BRETHREN EVENT!

What does that mean? I'll let Eric elaborate on this but we are not only open to members of the brethren. Just helping get the brethren message out!

FRESH IN FROM RELEASE!!

We are now an official BATTLE OF THE BRETHREN EVENT!

What does that mean? I'll let Eric elaborate on this but we are not only open to members of the brethren. Just helping get the brethren message out!

CATS OF OF THE BAG!

First a BIG thanks to Brian for putting our tag on BBQ at The Beach.

This is the first step in branding a series of contests nation wide with The Brethren name. Our goal is to eventually bring a known and recognized standard of excellence to these contests.

Future contests tagged "Battles of The BBQ Brethren" will conform to a footprint we have established over the past few years giving organizers many options to go 'outside of the box' to create contest that is team friendly, and while bringing a known and standard set of variables to the table, will also tests our teams creativity and abilities beyond the norm. Currently, contests can be sanctioned under any of the major organizations(KCBS,FBA, NEBS, etc..), OR unsanctioned and using the "Brethren Rules" which will be posted within the next few months.

Brian and the organizers of BBQ at the Beach are getting in on the ground floor. Our team will be working with Brian as much as we can to help this contest be a a huge success. With our tag comes nation wide exposure, advertising in Smoke Signals, here on the forum(as soon as I get it in place), and in the Bull sheet. We are also opening up the resources we have built over the past 3 years as well as a couple of secret weapons. :wink:

I am also working on another forum area and web presence specifically for our contests, including electronic registration. We will work with contest organizers to ensure the contest is run as smooth as possible and once established, teams and judges will realize that we will go to great lengths to maintain high standards at these contests. Hopefully, with our nationwide(ok, international ) presence and cooperative efforts of organizers, reps, teams and judges, we will be able to build a strong resource for organizing teams to turn to for anything thats needed in the regions.

We are at the ground floor. 7 years into our organization with 15000+ members. This will take time, and effort. We have high hopes, but realistic expectations. All I can say is someday................:thumb:

(Mods.... split this off it hijacks brians contest thread.)

I am honored to have the opportunity to do this with you phil, eric, and the rest of the brethren! I look to put on a great event and have some great big shoes to fill from Mike's Boston Hills event, Brian's RocCity, Willy B's 'Pallooza, and all the others I went to last year!

I look forward to doing this event and seeing all my BBQ Brothers and Sisters!

Wow!

Hey! This is big time! WTG!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

CATS OF OF THE BAG!

First a BIG thanks to Brian for putting our tag on BBQ at The Beach.

This is the first step in branding a series of contests nation wide with The Brethren name. Our goal is to eventually bring a known and recognized standard of excellence to these contests.

Future contests tagged "Battles of The BBQ Brethren" will conform to a footprint we have established over the past few years giving organizers many options to go 'outside of the box' to create contest that is team friendly, and while bringing a known and standard set of variables to the table, will also tests our teams creativity and abilities beyond the norm. Currently, contests can be sanctioned under any of the major organizations(KCBS,FBA, NEBS, etc..), OR unsanctioned and using the "Brethren Rules" which will be posted within the next few months.

Brian and the organizers of BBQ at the Beach are getting in on the ground floor. Our team will be working with Brian as much as we can to help this contest be a a huge success. With our tag comes nation wide exposure, advertising in Smoke Signals, here on the forum(as soon as I get it in place), and in the Bull sheet. We are also opening up the resources we have built over the past 3 years as well as a couple of secret weapons. :wink:

I am also working on another forum area and web presence specifically for our contests, including electronic registration. We will work with contest organizers to ensure the contest is run as smooth as possible and once established, teams and judges will realize that we will go to great lengths to maintain high standards at these contests. Hopefully, with our nationwide(ok, international ) presence and cooperative efforts of organizers, reps, teams and judges, we will be able to build a strong resource for organizing teams to turn to for anything thats needed in the regions.

We are at the ground floor. 7 years into our organization with 15000+ members. This will take time, and effort. We have high hopes, but realistic expectations. All I can say is someday................:thumb:

(Mods.... split this off it hijacks brians contest thread.)

Thanks everyone! Go BIG or Go Home right? I am one to want to do all I can to help out the brethren and what Phil does as well as get more people into BBQ and what real BBQ is. People here think its opening a bag of potato chips which is why the working name on this event during development was "WTH is BBQ?" which I think we should still title our classes which are open to the public.

We are asking teams if they would like to put on a 30-45 min "class" on BBQ for everything from how to build a UDS, recipe demos, and basic BBQ knowledge classes. Even if people dont have a "PIT" they could do something in the oven or a gas grill. We can get all purist next year when we have people slightly knowledgeable as well as talking here on the forums. I ordered my Brethren banner to put on my RV which will be in the middle of the COMP area to further show this is the place to share ideas and knowledge.

The teams will have the ability to be more open with the public at our event where we welcome people to walk around and talk with the teams and buy your tee shirts, bbq rubs/sauces, and small children :laugh:

If there is anything I can be doing, please let me know. I am scheduled to meet the meat supplier next week to talk packages and onsite delivery so please let me know if you have input. I already posted the packages I am suggesting to the butcher along with individual prices of meats for people who either don't need it all or need more of each event.

THANKS!

Though I am not yet worthy of competition.... I would be interested in being someones pit biatch. That way I can help and learn (and hopefully partake of some liquid refreshments).

I assume there are camping sites available?

Thanks,

Ted

Sorry I am in Chicago on business. I'll ask ed to chime in here otherwise I'll get you guys some answers when I'm back or you could call 888-raystown x11 to speak with Ed directly.

Thanks!

Ok - Right now we have 2 teams with registrations in. We have 18 teams who have promised us to come. After talking to a couple teams, we understand why we don't have more applications with money being tight, the comp still being 2.5 months away and the teams still having fees for other comps., we understand. Just chalk our nervousness up to being new event hosts! lol. We really look forward to giving a great event and catering to the teams.

If you are coming, please post up here to let other know. I will be posting pictures of the awards very shortly. I will begin working on these as soon as early next week.

Last edited:
Ok - Right now we have 2 teams with registrations in. We have 18 teams who have promised us to come. After talking to a couple teams, we understand why we don't have more applications with money being tight, the comp still being 2.5 months away and the teams still having fees for other comps., we understand. Just chalk our nervousness up to being new event hosts! lol. We really look forward to giving a great event and catering to the teams.

If you are coming, please post up here to let other know. I will be posting pictures of the awards very shortly. I will begin working on these as soon as early next week.

I think you should only let the 2 teams with their registrations in compete and make every one else just watch,,,just saying..:crazy:

Drive all the way to Texas when we can hop across the PA boarder and harass you?? Hmmmm let's think about that one. :)

Back