Trimming Brisket for A Box

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Getting ready to do a practice brisket and wanted to trim before smoking to fit evenly in a turn-in box. How wide would you suggest to trim since the brisket will shrink. My first thought was to trim raw to the full width of the box. I know they shrink but not really accurate on how much. I would appreciate any thoughts from the brethren on this. Thanks.

I think that's a good start or a slight bit more to be safe ... Worst case, you could always go diagonal if it doesn't shink as much as you expected

Sledneck is an expert on this technique though.. Hopefully he'll see this and chime in... He uses a Stanley FatMax Extreme with Blade Armor coating for an 12' standout from across the trailer to meaure his pre-trimmed brisket. I wouldn't believe it but I saw it with my own eyes.

Vinny, thanks and I hope Sled realizes I need a more simple technique. LOL. I am not a fan of the diagonal... just me... but the turn-ins that have bark on the ends of the brisket look more apprealing to me. I need higher appearance scores to help my overall...that's kinda sad.:biggrin:

I trim the "sweet spot" to 9 inches wide pre-cook...below is how they look when boxed...this one was 3rd in Libertyville this fall.
Mason245.jpg

Joe, looks good brother. I really like the burnd ends added to the box. They are sooooo good! Thanks for the pic.

I go in about 1/2" from the outer edge or about 1/4" from the inner edge of the clamshell.

8.jpg

Paul, do you figure on the average that will get you about 3/4 inch clearance on each end when the brisket is put in the clamshell? I quess that would mean maybe anticipating around a 2 inch overall shrinkage, if I am thinking correctly. I realize that can vary, so just a general observation.

Paul, do you figure on the average that will get you about 3/4 inch clearance on each end when the brisket is put in the clamshell? I quess that would mean maybe anticipating around a 2 inch overall shrinkage, if I am thinking correctly. I realize that can vary, so just a general observation.

2" would be an extra inch on each side. We don't quite get that much shrinkage as you can see in the pics...maybe 1" total. But as you noted, it varies. And the height of your presentation bed plays a role too.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Thanks guys...I think Scottie and Clone were 1 and 2, pretty good company:-D

Nice pics Paul, your presentation scores have got to be off the chart every weekend

Paul, I think it was Plowboy, but I am not sure, that said in one of the threads that when he went to get pumped up on presentation boxes, he went to yours for inspiration. Like Joe's pic, the bark is all the way around the ends which looks so much more appetizing. Good grief brother, those are absolutely awsome. I am a visual person so those pics really help me tremendously. That is the presentation, so the cook now has to get the flavor and tenderness to match to be able to score well. First taste is with the eyes!!!!!! Thanks for you help on this, I really appreciate it.

Gotta get off here as we are in the middle of a nasty ice storm. Last time we lost power for two weeks. I hope I can get back on the forum tomorrow and there is more great information from the brethren. See ya later.

I try and trim nine inches straight through the flat. I refuse to trim the sides down after cooking. It ends up looking to square and not natural for me.

Of course, by evil design, I only showed pics of good entries. All of the pics except the first one were in the Top 10 last year. The first one was 55 of 479 at the Royal last year and it may have hit in a smaller contest.

Sadly :cry:, we are not superbly consistent. We turned in the chit pictured below last April. This beauty was a case study in why you shouldn't experiment at a contest. Even with a 6 judge average appearance score of 7.0, it came in 21 of 52 team. The judges were generous. Just 2 more appearance points and we would have moved up to 16th.

1.jpg

:rolleyes:Ice hasn't knocked me off yet...but prolly will soon. Did we have an injection problem there brother:rolleyes:

Back