Needed a D*mn good wing recipe

Well bonehead & pickled pig, I combined your recipes and smoked 7-8# of wings ...... those turned out d*mn good! Couldn't find Fryin" Magic so substituted with House-Autry Spicy & Hot Breader, smoked them till they started looking crisp them gave them a dunk in pickled pigs sauce, then back into the smoker till crisp and one more round of dip and crisp. All told about 2.5+or- hours in the pit, bones were as clean as good ribs!

Sorry, no pron.... thought there would be time to get a couple pic's before they were gone. That's what I get for thinking....

When I make my wings, I dry rub them in Kingpins Fairy Dust. Smoke them over cherry in my GOSM, until cooked 1 1/2 to 2 hours. When they are done I let them rest, pop them on the gasser, crisp them up and cover in Tabasco Chipotle sauce. Wows them every time.

I have also Jerked the wings with a chefs jerk concoction and smoked them over cherry. That was a winner. Still trying to pry the recipe out of the chefs head. I do know it's a dry rub and a wet rub.

Last batch I made was for a family gathering,,, I seperated the wings, threw away the tips, gave them a good covering of willie b's bourbon rub, smoked them for about 1 1/2 hrs,, refrigerated over night,, next time, reheated in the oven with alittle more bourbon rub,, Went over great,,

tipped the wings...slather of mustard....spicy rub (I used Dizzy Pig "Jamacain Firewalk" and added some extraheat)....smoked 1.5 hours over hickory/cherry mix....topped w/ some Frank's wing sauce.....came out great with a good "burn"...

there was an guy on food net work that rubbed down his wings with rub then deep fried them for 2 min then finished them on the smoker

FYI

york

Ok, after reading this thread I decided to cook some wings for an appetizer at my sons B-day party this weekend. I'm figuring I need around 100 wing halfs (drumette & that other double boned half). Any idea how much that would be by weight roughly?

I cooked a dozen tonight. Washed, clipped tips, rubbed with Plowboy's Yardbird rub, smoked on my Small Egg till 180* internal, then took them off and wallered them in a bowl of Chipotle Rasberry grilling sauce, put them back on to carmelize. Awesome. Sorry, no pron.

I fix my wings pretty plain. I cut them all apart and throw the tips into the freezer to use next time I fix stock. Then I put the rest on the Weber and cook them off till they are almost done. At that point I dunk each piece in Franks hot sauce and return them to the grill. When they are done they should still be finger lickin' good and you can use your favorite creamy wing sauce if you like. I reckon you could add your favorite rub or marinade if you wanted, but to me it tastes just fine without anything but the Franks.

Ok, after reading this thread I decided to cook some wings for an appetizer at my sons B-day party this weekend. I'm figuring I need around 100 wing halfs (drumette & that other double boned half). Any idea how much that would be by weight roughly?

A 2lb. pack of wings at Wally World has 8 complete wings in it (8 drumettes and 8 wings). So my simple math mind says that a single complete wing should weigh around 1/4 lb and 12.5 lbs. of wings will give you about 50 drumettes and 50 wings.

A 2lb. pack of wings at Wally World has 8 complete wings in it (8 drumettes and 8 wings). So my simple math mind says that a single complete wing should weigh around 1/4 lb and 12.5 lbs. of wings will give you about 50 drumettes and 50 wings.

Thanks Paul, thats what I was looking for.:eusa_clap

I can't say what I do is original. It's been cobbled together from posts on this site, my own experience, and various other resources. That said, here's what I do:

1) prepare the breading: mix equal parts of Frying Magic & Corn Muffin Mix. If you're feeling spicy, add some favorite extra flavors. Dredge wings through to coat and place on a pan.

2) Heat the grill/smoker to low or low/medium low. While it's heating, fix the sauce. I use regular Franks's Hot Sauce & butter. I like flavor, but not a ton of heat so I start with 1 stick of butter to 1/3 cup of Franks. Sometimes I puree some fresh garlic in. Sometimes I put a dash or two of liquid smoke in (Sshh, don't tell anyone here. I might get banned). Adjust proportions to taste.

3) Put the wings on over low/medium low direct heat. Let them cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the coating starts to set up. Then baste with the sauce and then turn and baste again. After that turn and baste every 10 to 15 minutes until done. Serve with extra sauce on the side.

If you do this over direct heat you need to keep a close eye on them because the butter will cause flare ups. They should be done in about 30 to 45 minutes. If you do them indirect at 225 probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours. YMMV.

So far every time I have cooked these I have NEVER had any leftovers. I think it's the sauce. Here are some pics. The first is one tray after they've been prepped. The second is after they're done. I forgot to take a shot after I pulled them off so there was only a little left and they went away quick after that.
Those really look good, Bonehead! Thanks for the pron...

OK, I've been gone for a few days. I'll check the mail for my invite. You know he likes Chris better than you, don't you?

NUTZ

Going into my Evernote list

cut tips off and clean,dry, season with salt, white, black, red pepper. Soak in Sirracha chili sauce (little rooster on bottle), mild 8 hours, wild 12 hours, HOT 24 hours. Smoke until done 250, pecan my fav. Glaze at least once with sweet hot bbq sauce(Head Country hot my choice) Since heat is in the meat, each bite intensifies! Won many contests and sold lots of drinks with this one, enjoy, Steve.

Thanks, this is going into my evernote recipe notebook for later use.

Here's my offering for the dry-rubbed part.

Recipe: Gameday Grub - Memphis Dry-Rubbed Wings

MemphisWings_1_13_630.jpg

John

Back