View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottm4300
I'm getting set to smoke some salmon fillets this weekend. I typically use expanded steel for this on top of the grates and always seem to have a problem with the skin of the fish sticking to the expanded steel, even if I coat it with Pam first. It's not a huge deal, because no one eats the skin, but it's a pain to clean up, and hard to get the fillets off the steel in a nice single piece.

Has anyone ever used parchment paper in the smoker? I'm thinking of cutting parchment paper to match the shape of the fillets so I don;t impede airflow at all, but I'm not sure if parchment paper is a good idea or not.

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks!

Scott
The deal with fish and other cuts of meat is that they will initially bind to the grate, when the right temperature is reached they will release that bind, that is when you should remove them. There will be no sticking then. The same thing with beef and chicken etc....
I use cooking parchment to prepare chicken wings in the oven. I cook them at 500 degrees 1/2 hour each side. It usually works well for them. Now with the fish I have used foil, mainly because I do not like my grill getting fishy. But smoking fish is usually done at very low temperatures. So I am not sure how that will work but I would say great since it works well with the chicken skin.

I also wouldn't worry about impeding airflow, I am sure you will get enough smoke. Fish takes on smoke so easily.
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote