Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Is your place located in Berrien or Cass county? I've worked with Virgil, the HD inspector for Berrien county and he's always been very helpful.

It's Cass, so I'm working with Rich. He's actually very helpful and lenient. It's the mechanical inspection that's the hold up, and my contractor that never got, or couldn't pull the right permit.

It's a new day brother. My biggest fear for you right now is how everyone starts to shut themselves down for the holidays.

It's a new day brother. My biggest fear for you right now is how everyone starts to shut themselves down for the holidays.
But lots of folks might want some BBQ to-go for the holidays. It's always easier to let the other guy do the cookin', especially if it's as tasty as his looks :wink:

But lots of folks might want some BBQ to-go for the holidays. It's always easier to let the other guy do the cookin', especially if it's as tasty as his looks :wink:

I am talking about inspectors and government officials.

I agree, with reference to the absurd degree of horse**** the government puts people through it nearly gives me chest pains reading about this ...
And yet the CDC estimates that "... roughly 1 in 6 Americans (or 48 million people) get sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die of foodborne diseases."

Health inspectors are our first line of defense when dealing with this issue. It is necessarily an adversarial relationship and I'd bet lunch at <ahem> a restaurant of your choice that they are faced daily with people trying to get by with substandard operations. I don't envy their job and I am not surprised that they may have an attitude.

Nor do I make any claims that their decisions are always fair and balanced. I just want to point out that there are two sides to this coin and that the HD has a an important and often difficult job to do.

52 phone calls already this morning from people asking if we're open or wanting to place an order. This is brutal.

When I had construction projects - it was mostly they wanted permits so that they can get paid... I'm sure you are beyond that. Hopefully you get final resolution today.

When I had construction projects - it was mostly they wanted permits so that they can get paid... I'm sure you are beyond that. Hopefully you get final resolution today.
This is all about the permit that he didn't get, and probably didn't need, but probably should have just gotten.

Its even more painful when it is one you don't need, for work you didn't do...
We are all pulling for you

Damn, I need to get this rectified soon. Had two people come in looking to have us cater their holiday office parties. That would end up being about 150 people total.

Yes, and presumably all 48 million of them are sickened, hospitalized and/or dead following the blessing of these governmental agencies. I get that there’s two sides to every story but they seem to relish in tormenting those that haven’t been green-lighted for business yet with endless inspections and re-inspections and delays….

No stamp of approval or license from the government has ever been or will ever be a guarantee against food borne illness, to wit your above statistics. Ultimately the instances of food borne disease (or lack thereof) of any food establishment will rise or fall with those that run it. My only point is give the guy that’s ready to throw his hat in the ring every deference so he doesn’t go belly up before opening day.

Hang in there and don't stress Brother!!!!

It's not good for you ya know, it'll get done and things will roll along smoothly from there on out

In the realm of shared pain...my friend who bought a thriving coffee shop out here, and decided to do a couple of updates to the shop (which I advised against) has been shut down for going on three months, and is looking at another month. Her architect that she hired just had his drawings rejected by the building department as 'unacceptable for review'. Holy fark! :shocked: The guy is so bad, the City refused to accept the plans over the counter. She is at least a month out now.

Someone stole the christmas wreath I had hanging on the front door at the restaurant. WTF is wrong with people?

And I got my ass chewed out this morning by somebody at the county because I went over everybody's head and got higher ups involved and breathing down their necks. It must be working then. :mrgreen:

well, that is low. Stealing a Christmas wreath, I never would have done that, even as a drunken teen.

Bastards!!!

May they be forced to eat Lloyd's PP for the remainder of their BBQ lives!

Back