Finishing dust

RIBBIN IN ROCKFORD

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I heard of teams using a finishing dust before they turn in there competition boxes. Can anyone explain to me is this just the rub they were using or something totaly different?

A finishing rub is a very fine powder packed with a lot of punch. Its used to add just a little zing to the meat just before the box gets closed up. It is not the same rub that you use during pre-cook. Some good ones are Happy Ending by Big Poppa Smokers and Smoking Guns Gun Powder. Its applied on top of the sauce, and if need be, a quick spritz of apple juice will help it melt into the sauce. When used correctly, it can definitely add that lats little layer of flavor that can set your box apart from the rest. I would recommend getting a couple and then try it on a practice cook before using it at a comp. They are pretty cheap and come in small shaker bottles. They can be used on any entry, but I think the most common is ribs and chicken.

We will sometimes put some rub in a coffee grinder and grind it up real fine to use as a finishing dust. You'd be surprised at how much grinding up your regular rub will wake up the flavors in it.

The finishing powders listed earlier are good or you can grind up your favorite rub into a powder. One that I use as a powder but is listed as a rub is Butchers Honey rub. It is more of a powder than a traditional rub and has a flavor that reaches out to me. I have only used it a couple of time but by using it I have gotten 4 calls. One in each category and I have used it on all 4 meats.

Ribbin in Rockford, whats the team name? I haven't seen you around these parts much. I'm going to go out on a limb and ask if its JH Old School?

Not jh old school i think there from roscoe or rocton area. Team name is monsters of the ribway. Just getting started this year in the bbq arena...having a blast so far....thanks to everyone for the information of the finishing rub alot of good information.

I have a "super secret" brisket finishing dust that helped me take a mediocre brisket cook to a top 10 call last weekend. I powder Cattleman's Grill California Tri-Tip into a a really, really fine consistency. I just let it melt into the liquid on top of the brisket, closed up the box, and prayed. It worked!

Back