Smokin Gator?

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions for smoked gator tail? Son in law's got some tail meat and I was wondering how it is with a good rub and a low and slow cook? I've had it many other ways but never tried smokin' one myself.
Thanks,
Jed

Anyone have any suggestions for smoked gator tail? Son in law's got some tail meat and I was wondering how it is with a good rub and a low and slow cook? I've had it many other ways but never tried smokin' one myself.
Thanks,
Jed

Been a long time since I've had gator but I imagine it cooks more like seafood / chicken...I do not think you want to do slow and low given the relatively low fat content. But again, I could be way off here.

It has been a few years, but after smoking it a couple of times, I was convinced that fried is the way to go. LOL

As best I remember it came out like a rubber ball. :tsk: I did not try H n F though, maybe that is the key.

Now that you ask ...

In my 50 years of living and growing up on the Gulf Coast I have never seen gator fixed any ther way than fried. I am sure there must be other ways I just have never seen or eaten it.

It can turn into rubber real quick!

I have had grilled gator and it was great. Slow smoking will give it some flavor but be careful to to dry it out.

I've only had it fried too. Hope you take some pics for us Jed! :-D

I've had smoked gator a couple times. Once, it was delicious, the other time, it was dry and like leather. It's really, really good if you don't overcook it. Overcooked, it's awful. I would probably rub it with Cajun seasoning, smoke for a while, then wrap it in foil with some liquid.

I've had smoked gator a couple times. Once, it was delicious, the other time, it was dry and like leather. It's really, really good if you don't overcook it. Overcooked, it's awful. I would probably rub it with Cajun seasoning, smoke for a while, then wrap it in foil with some liquid.
Thanks, sounds like a plan was gonna marinate in Mojo

Back