advice on becoming an USDA certified bacon producer

early mornin' smokin'

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So i'm pretty awesome at making bacon. I've partnered up with a local butcher and we're making it and selling it out of his store. Right now we just sell it sliced and vac sealed in store, and wholesale it to restaurants.

We're looking to be able to sell to supermarkets and other local specialty retailers for wholesale. This will require us to have an USDA inspector onsite. There is a store front adjacent to where the butcher is currently located, so if we're able to fit all we need in that store front, it'd be optimal.

What else is involved with becoming a usda certified producer? I'm assuming there's specially certified equipment, and a laundry list of other things. Please help!!!!

i'm thinking someone who's already gone thru a lot of the steps, another local USDA certified producer, maybe I can use their facility as a copacker. Heads spinning right now, so much effort to start a brand.

For now, we're producing and selling wholesale to restaurants and packages out of a storefront. But i'd love to be in grocers shelves

You should hire a professional to walk you through the steps. There are guys out there who do this for a living, most are ex usda employees. Smoken Dudes can probably point you in the right direction. They are USDA certified.

Back