• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A couple of Bandera upgrades

cholloway

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Ran fire rope around the inside of the door. Stopped a big exhaust leak just above the latch and also an intake leak at the bottom of the door.

picture.php

and, raised the fire basket 2" above the bottom. MUCH easier to dump ash accumulation without removing the basket.

picture.php

A test run yesterday gained appx. 35*-40* inside the smoke chamber and held 240*-250* with not much fuel in the fire box.
Made me happy!

Next week our weather is supposed to be a lot better, so I may get it painted, and add some gaskets to the door like you did. I noticed on the door there is a lot of slop, it can be pushed in a good 1/4 inch or more before it makes contact with the box, was yours like that? The new never used box I got from the owner is the same way, so I guess they are designed that way. Have you added any fire brick, or the heat diffuser on the inside of the box? I have the brick in, and have raised the fire grate, but do not have a basket as yet. Also have the metal for the heat diverter, but have not fashioned it as yet, lots to do.
Dave

No slop on the door like you describe. It does have to be lifted a bit to latch it closed. I haven't added any fire brick, tho I do have a ceramic floor tile in the bottom of the smoke chamber and the fire box. Not kiln fired so the one in the FB cracked to pieces with the 1st burn.
I'm using a terra cotta flower pot water tray as a diffuser for now. I also picked up a new water pan at Academy if I ever go that route.
Still experimenting with a sheet metal heat distribution pan coming out of the fire box. If it works out I have a neighbor who can make me one out of plate steel.

picture.php

Back