Smoked beef round roast

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a few fresh off the cow beef round roasts in the deep freeze that I wanted to smoke. I got a nice dry rub I use on most beef and pork but I wonder about keeping it juicy. Has anyone tried smoking a roast in a pan of Au Jus? Or should I just rub it down and smoke it dry?

Cook it to 120 internal and then sear it all around on a hot grill. It will be medium rare. Makes great sandwiches.

Cook it to 120 internal and then sear it all around on a hot grill. It will be medium rare. Makes great sandwiches.

So just smoke it dry with just a dry rub? That sounds pretty simple. I just don't want it to be dry inside.

What Ron said. No more than medium rare and slice it thin. If you pan it with au jus it will steam into a beef-flavored brick of hard rubber! You can also corn/brine it for corned beef/pastrami.

Not being a smart a$$ ,but if they are in the deep freezer,they ain't fresh off the cow.Ypu can cook em many ways.Hot and fast for Pit beef,pull at no more than 120 I.T.Slice it thin for sammies.You can slow cook it at no more than 250 cooking temp with smoke,and pull and do the same.Bottom line,,,,Do Not overcook that cut of beef.Do Not cook it past 120 internal temp.Good luck.:grin:

Not being a smart a$$ ,but if they are in the deep freezer,they ain't fresh off the cow.Ypu can cook em many ways.Hot and fast for Pit beef,pull at no more than 120 I.T.Slice it thin for sammies.You can slow cook it at no more than 250 cooking temp with smoke,and pull and do the same.Bottom line,,,,Do Not overcook that cut of beef.Do Not cook it past 120 internal temp.Good luck.:grin:

I stand corrected. What I meant to say is they are not store bought meat. My bro in law butchers a cow every year and we split it. So it's farm fresh not store bought pen raised stuff.

Back