US meat exports

True. From what I have read the FDA has cleared no Kobe beef for import to the U.S. Hate to be the guy to tell his customer that his 3,500 bucks worth of beef got seized by customs. But, gamblin is gamblin.

Wampum didn't say it was from Japan.
It could have been legally exported premium pure wagyu grade 9+
Beef out of Australia.
We export to the finest steakhouses in NYC and all over the USA.

Beef out of Australia.

Wagyu yes. Kobe no. Not from Kobe, Japan, its Kobe style Wagyu. Kind of like if its from champagne, its champagne. Otherwise its sparkling wine right?

Beef out of Australia.

Oops. I see what your sayin when I re read that post. My bad. Thought he mentioned Kobe.

Well, I also heard something else interesting this weekend. I was actually at a specialty butcher on Saturday (our comp team is working out a sponsorship with them) and the butcher there was telling me that recently they had a whole actual WAYGU rib roast shipped in for a very wealthy client. It was about 9 steaks total, after they cut it. The cost of the rib roast was $3,400.
Wagyu yes. Kobe no. Not from Kobe, Japan, its Kobe style Wagyu. Kind of like if its from champagne, its champagne. Otherwise its sparkling wine right?

I didn't say "Kobe", I said "Wagyu"...as did Wampus?
Also do not get the point you seem to be trying to make?
Are you saying Tajimagyu is superior to say Miyazakigyu?
It isn't at all.
Kobe beef isn't superior to Australia's top grade wagyu either.:confused:

6 years ago an Australian 'sparkling' took out the $200 open category in France.
It costs $22 here.
:whoo:

Okay, we are on the same page.
I just saw your post as my reply posted.
Carry on, sargeant!:attention:

Farking Aussies gouge us for that Wagyu beef too, ridiculous prices! Taking it down under indeed. I may never eat it again. Unless Buccs ships me some.

You know, that box is from Japan, and it is both Japanese and American stamped. I don't think I have seen that in 15 years. You have official approved black market beef, man, eat as much of that as you can.

Clarification....this is NOT for us! Jimmy and I like steak and all, but we sure as "H-E-double hockey sticks" ain't gonna pay that kind of money to try it. I believe this is the "reordered" one for their client that got the stuff the last time. I did NOT know that it was illegal, and I doubt that this shop owner would risk her business to order it. Not disputing that it IS illegal, however.

And I see what you mean and agree, landarc, that IF we stopped exporting meat, then there would be market consequences. I think she just meant that the cost of meat here in the US is greatly affected by the fact that we export so much, which was an interesting fact that I didn't know, which is why I posted this thread in the first place.

On a side note......she's from California and can (and will/has) order in tri tip.

:thumb:

....which we happened to cook a lot of this past weekend for her. First time I've really had this farkin AWESOME cut. They marinated a couple cases and I cooked them all on the UDS and then reverse seared on the kettle. MAN it was good.

I'd post pictures but I don't wanna hijack my own thread.........:wink:

That is not illegal meat though, it is stamped. I thought that was not possible.

The government lifted the ban on importing japanese waygu last fall. It is still ridiculously expensive. I know there is few links to it, but it should pop right up if you google it. I just wish they'd let us import the entire animals for ranchers.

Back