• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ideas for chicken leg quarters?

Lilpiggysquealers

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello brethren,
I just bought some leg quarters to test out my new large offset smoker on Sunday. Does anyone have any favorite recipes or preparations for leg quarters? I've pretty much only done pork and am a little lost on birds. Thanks in advance!!

Google "Riverview Plantation quail recipe". Next time I do quarters I'm using this recipe substituting chickens for the quail. I know it's going to be grand with a hint of pecan smoke

My favorite way to cook 'em

Cornell Chicken Recipe
(the original R/S chicken)

1 cup cooking oil
1 pint cider vinegar
3 tablespoons salt *
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 egg

Beat the egg, then add oil and beat again. Add other ingredients, then stir. The recipe can be varied to suit individual tastes. Makes enough for 10 chicken halves. Leftover sauce can be stored in a glass jar and stored in a refrigerator for several weeks.

Baker suggests that to cook chicken broilers, you need a hot, non-flaming fire. Broilers should be placed over the cooking fire after the flames are gone. Use this barbecue sauce as a basting material, he suggests. During cooking, the sauce should be brushed on the chicken every few minutes

I like to just coat them with Olive Oil and season with Creole Seasoning both under and on top of the skin. Cook em at 325+ til the leg bone will twist free by hand. You should have juicy quarters and crispy skin this way.

I am really appretiating the responses. So it seems like I'm going to have to get my offset pretty hot to do chicken properly. My plan of 250 - 275 is not going to be enough... I better get some extra wood...

I am really appretiating the responses. So it seems like I'm going to have to get my offset pretty hot to do chicken properly. My plan of 250 - 275 is not going to be enough... I better get some extra wood...

exactly, anything under 300 for chicken is not the way to go. don't forget to post some pron!!!! :biggrin1:

I would definitely brine them for about 4 hours. Give them your favorite rub (Plowboy's Bovine Bold works for me) then let them sit in the fridge for awhile so the skin can dry out a bit. I like 300-325 degrees until done.

I soak them overnight in milk and then apply dry rub.
275-300 degrees over cherry wood for about 2 hours. :clap2:

Back