Rib Appetizer Idea

nthole

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I did a few searches but didn't find anything (here or the Googlenets) so wondering if anyone has tried this.

Wife and I are going to a trivia event and need to bring an appetizer. I'm kind of in the mood for ribs. I know I can get rib tips and just make those, but something that came to mind was appetizer sized ribs. In other words, take a rack of spares and cut them in half (down the middle of the rack) to create ribs that are about 2 - 3 inches long.

Will a butcher cut a rack of ribs in half in order to do this? Well a couple of racks actually. I was just thinking some mini ribs would be a cool appetizer. Wondering how that might impact the cooking as well. I'm thinking essentially it would be like halving the times as well, an hour on heat, an hour in foil and then probably close to done.

Thoughts?

If they have a bandsaw I dont see why not. The dollar speaks

Sounds like a great idea! I'm not sure how that would impact the cook times, I would think the cook time would be pretty much the same, maybe a little shorter. Another experiment in the making! Maybe wrap each one with a strip of bacon? Let us all know what you come up with and post some pics.

I've seen ribs of this cut sold in stores on occasion. Cook times are going to depend primarily on the minimum dimension, which will still be the thickness of the rib. Cook times will be reduced, but not halved, unless they're really meaty.

Maybe just get some BBs? A friend of mine battered some up awhile back, like chicken fried steak, and then deep fried them. Man they were good.

Maybe just get some BBs? A friend of mine battered some up awhile back, like chicken fried steak, and then deep fried them. Man they were good.

Mmmmmmm, sort of like these:

IMG_5461-1.jpg

Here's the recipe, if you can figure it out:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84311

I've done the deep fried ribs thing already before. If you want to guarantee you can't eat more than two ribs that's a great way to go!

I'll have to stop by the butcher and see if they'll do it to try. Stay tuned!

We did that one year for New Year's Eve, but we did back ribs cut in half. Worked out great..

I had the butcher cut ribs down the center once or twice. He gave me a weird look, and must've asked me three times if I was sure that was what I wanted. He didn't charge extra.

Matt

My grocer has cut several racks in half for me.

I make Buffalo ribettes.
I par smoke them, cut them up, toss in rub with a little flour added, flash fry and toss with buffalo sauce.

I'm really interested to see how these will come out. Please take notes, and pics to share later! :thumb:

Yes, out here, the Chinese stores sell ribs sectioned into 2"-3" sections as a normal item. They cook up fine, and they do cook faster than normal ribs. On the order of half the time actually, especially if you foil them.

Ok, lets do this thing. Got a rack of spares on the way home from work. Here it is, split, and coated with rubs from two of the great rub masters.

If it appears that these are on a pan and headed for an oven... you are correct. It's cold out and I didn't feel like firing up a pit for this. The 275F oven will make do for the test. If this bothers you, once you've cooked actual bbq on an easy bake oven feel free to speak up, until then...pipe down! :becky:

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_4038.JPG
    Copy of IMG_4038.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 79
90 minutes, going for the foil wrap with happy sleep time goodness.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_4039.JPG
    Copy of IMG_4039.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 59
Rack 1 (top half of the rack) out of the oven and ready for testing.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_4040.JPG
    Copy of IMG_4040.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 32
Mini bone 1. Juicy enough looking to me!

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_4042.JPG
    Copy of IMG_4042.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 34
Mini bone 1 from Rack #2 (bottom half). Much thicker than Rack 1. Interesting given it was from the same rack!

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_4043.JPG
    Copy of IMG_4043.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 34
In my worthless opin... a perfect bite. These had about 3 or 4 good bites on them. Perfect appetizer size!

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_4045.JPG
    Copy of IMG_4045.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 34
Back