Fuel

bogyo1981

Got Wood.
Reaction score
My question is what do most of you use for fuel at competitions? I use Kingsford, because that is what I've been using my whole life. I know what its going to give me. I also only use 2 22.5 WSM and two 22.5 kettles at competitions. I just was wondering what other people use and why.

Mojobricks + cherry, hickory, apple, and oak splits.

Wicked Good Lump with whatever fruit wood I am liking at the time. Right now that is Peach.

When I use the barrel to smoke my brisket hot and fast, I use the blue bag, and a few chunks of wood, it's consistent, and don't have to worry that much about the temps during comp time.

what the heck are "mojobricks"? And somebody else mentioned "Kingsford comp".... i never heard of it! Fill me in :redface:

what the heck are "mojobricks"? And somebody else mentioned "Kingsford comp".... i never heard of it! Fill me in :redface:

Kingsford comp is a Kingsford brand lump charcoal. Lump charcoal is a natural charcoal created without the binders, release agents, and other chemicals found in the blue bag Kingsford.

Lump charcoal is harder to light, but generally burns longer and hotter than briquettes. See www.nakedwhiz.com for everything you ever need to know about charcoal.

Like the DOS XX guy says "I don't always burn charcoal, but when I do I burn Wicked Good Weekend Warrior blend."

I know what lump is and use it from time to time... i was unaware that Kingsford had that! And now I know what Mojobricks are. thanks

I use Stub's because it I can get it at any Lowes. Other brands, besides Kingsford, can be hard to find all the time. With a gravity fed smoker, I hesitate using lump because you can get bridges. So, I go with the briquettes. I would use Kingsford Comp if I found it.

Mojobricks and lump in my CTO, when the Jambo arrives it will be Mojobricks and a couple oak splits to get good coals...

Kingsford Competition is not lump. It looks just like the regular but uses Borax( I believe) as a binder and not byproducts from coal burning power houses! Just for the record I use the blue stuff as well when not competing.

Royal Oak products first for us. The extra ash and funky taste from blue k is not what I like to serve. Steve.

Kingsford Comp, when I can find it. Wood chunks. Also use a lot of Cowboy lump....and propane when no ones looking (that is a joke!)

Back