Spatched Chix and chuck shorties

M

Matt_A

Thinking about doing a spatched chicken while Ive got the short ribs in the Baby Bullet Mini-WSM. Suggestions for placement? Bottom rack tends to run about 15º to 20º hotter than the top rack, but I don't know if I want to have to take the short ribs out to get to the chicken on the lower rack. :confused:

I would definitley go hotter. For me, I usually do spatched birds on the UDS at 300* or so with a foil pan under them for the drippings. On your cooker, you would want the chicken to be in the hotter area and I don't think you want chicken drippings falling on your beef so bottom rack is the way to go. While it can be a pain to remove one rack to get to the lower one, it's probably your best option.

While it can be a pain to remove one rack to get to the lower one, it's probably your best option.

That was pretty much my way of thinking too, just looking for ideas. It's not a huge hassle to pull the shorties out to get the chicken out, the little smoker gets back up to heat pretty quickly.

I'm also wondering if I ought to do the short ribs in a foil pan to capture the drippings.

Back