Eastern North Carolina Pulled Pork

jeffsee

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
OK, all. I'm planning to do some Eastern TarHeel pulled pork for our family Christmas. My mom is worried about picky eaters in some of my relatives, so she wants the traditional vinegar sauce on the side. I'm afraid that the meat won't be flavorful enough with just salt and pepper.

How can I prepare the meat to that it will be flavorful enough for those not wanting sauce but not change the flavor so much that those wanting sauce get turned off by the mixture of the two flavors. If I were eating just for me, it would be traditional all the way. Since I have to please others this time...

Thanks in advance.

tell Mom to dont worry about those picky eaters, there are a lot less of them these days. And most of them are from "her" generation! If they are anything like my family, my father is the picky one and everyone else can't wait to try whats new.

If you cook it, they will eat!

Whenever we do that, we don't use any wood, cook off hotter @275-300* and let the rendering fat do the smoking. I only salt and pepper the butts. When pulled I add just enough vinegar sauce to just be barely noticeable. That seems to add enough flavor without camouflaging the pork flavor. Then everyone can add more or not.

I have no problem with eating leftovers, and my brother-in-law in Wausau would die for a taste of it. I am using my UDS, so I will be using Royal Oak SteakHouse Lump.

Salt & Pepper rub, perhaps add a little chili powder or paprika. It'll help add a little
extra flavor. The smoke should add flavor. If you'd like to get more flavor in the
meat, consider using an injection. A staple is a simple injection of apple juice and
worchestershire sauce. To me, if done well, it doesnt need sauce. We ALWAYS
serve sauce on the side.

My local Walmart carries the entire picnic. Does it change my approach at all if I have bothe the shoulder and picnic?

After I get it pulled I shake some of my rub over it and stir it all up. Also poor just a little bit of my mop over it and .

After I pull it , I mix a small amount of vinegar sauce in it . It is barley noticeable , you might be able see some red pepper flakes in it .
No difference in cooking the whole leg , except it will take longer to cook....

Usually Eastern NC vinegar sauces are served out of a " hot sauce type bottle " , one shakes it on the meat.... Also there is a bottle of Texas Pete sitting next to it also...

Back