Can this kamado be saved?

N

nlsteve

There's a damaged old kamado possibly available cheap.
I could use some advice. I have only seen photos so far, but it appears that pieces broke out of the bottom of the unit (the portion including the draft vent) but those pieces have been saved.

If the pieces are still available, can this thing be repaired satisfactorily with furnace cement?

Also, my understanding is that an old kamado (unlike a BGE or other newer kamado) isn't suitable for high temperature cooking. But the cookbooks I've seen for the old kamados only seem to talk about medium temps. Can these older things be used OK for low-and-slow? Can anyone point me to some instructions for that? I don't want to buy this thing unless it is fixable and can do some 'que.

Pictures attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• SmokerOutside.jpg
    SmokerOutside.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 216
  • SmokerInside.jpg
    SmokerInside.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 215
If by cheap, you mean free, then it's worth a shot. Otherwise, just walk away.

I got an old imperial kamado last year for $10 and it had been converted to use a propane burner in the bottom. The shell was in great shape but the fire box and ring were shot. Used JB Weld for those pieces and sandblasted the metal and repainted. It now stays below 400F and works fine. If the price is right try JB Weld on the outside. Kamado King in NY had a bottom door as mine was rusty.

KAMADOFINISHED100_2579.jpg

Back