Vinegar Based Sauce

yum

I can't remember who posted this, but if you want something different, i really like this with pork... It's a peach bbq sauce...

48 fluid ounces peach slices in light syrup
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch

1. Puree peaches
2. Mix cornstarch with a little water
3. Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and heat to low boil, stirring occasionally
4. continue to simmer 30 minutes, stirring frequently
5. Sauce may be thin, so at the end of cooking time, if necessary, add sufficient water/cornstarch mixture to give sauce consistency of commercial barbecue sauce

Can't wait to try this!

Hey SmknHotMama,

I live around you (in chesapeake), so I know what people around here are looking for. Here is a very simple recipie combining two commercial sauces that is very simple and VERY good. Use 90% Wells NC eastern Carolina vinegar sauce with 10% KC masterpiece. If you like, add regular old hot sauce to taste and you're good to go. Well's is only available in this region, and the closest place I know to buy it is at my Sponsor's shop, Central Meats on Kempsville Rd. I used a variation on this sauce to win NC State People's Choice in Edenton this spring, so It did really well for me. I'm pretty sure this will really show up your dad and uncle. If you need anything else or have questions on where to get stuff locally, PM me any time. Good Luck!

Here's my recipe...

sauce1.jpg

Bishop's BBQ 3-in-1 sauce! :mrgreen:

Carolina Red...:p
  • 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar. Serve at room temperature or chilled. The sauce keeps indefinitely.

Carolina Red...:p
  • 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar. Serve at room temperature or chilled. The sauce keeps indefinitely.

If you'd leave out the ketchup, that'd be a good
sauce! Use the cayenne.

This is great stuff.
Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

(an outstanding recipe by professional chef "Chez" John Eddy of Topeka, KS. Somewhat similar to Blues Hog Tennessee Red in some ways)

1 quart cider vinegar
12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 T red pepper flakes
2 T salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp celery seed
2 T Worchestershire sauce
Juice of one lemon
1 T chipotle powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 T onion powder

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool, and bottle. Great with Carolina style pulled pork BBQ sands.

Hey SmknHotMama,

I live around you (in chesapeake), so I know what people around here are looking for. Here is a very simple recipie combining two commercial sauces that is very simple and VERY good. Use 90% Wells NC eastern Carolina vinegar sauce with 10% KC masterpiece. If you like, add regular old hot sauce to taste and you're good to go. Well's is only available in this region, and the closest place I know to buy it is at my Sponsor's shop, Central Meats on Kempsville Rd. I used a variation on this sauce to win NC State People's Choice in Edenton this spring, so It did really well for me. I'm pretty sure this will really show up your dad and uncle. If you need anything else or have questions on where to get stuff locally, PM me any time. Good Luck!

Thanks a ton. I figured I'd run into some local flavor on here sooner or later. My husband and I swear by Central Meats. We used them for my son's first birthday..b/c evry 1 year old should have a pig pickin' for their first birthday...right?
I'll check out your recipe. And most certainly PM you with any questions.
Shawn

Thanks a ton. I figured I'd run into some local flavor on here sooner or later. My husband and I swear by Central Meats. We used them for my son's first birthday..b/c evry 1 year old should have a pig pickin' for their first birthday...right?
I'll check out your recipe. And most certainly PM you with any questions.
Shawn

Thats great to hear. Its never too early to throw a child their first pig pickin', you are an awesome mom!!! When you stop in at Central, could you do me a favor? If you go up to the window to your right when you first go into the door, the owner, Richard is usally there sitting at his desk right behind the counter. If you let him know that I sent you, it would really help me out. Its important for all sponsored teams to show their sponsors the value of the relationship, and I'd love to keep them around for awhile. Thanks so much, and good luck!!

The cookbook, Barbecue Bible has a pretty good recipe for a NC sauce. If you dont have the book, PM me and I will send you the recipe. My wife loves the vinegar based sauces and this one ranked high up on her list!!
I actually never tried the Barbeque Bible's sauce. I went to type it out today for this post and realized it wasnt the one I use!! OOOPPPSSS :icon_blush:
Couldnt even tell you where I got the recipe for the one I use, all I know is my wife likes it.

I dated a girl from the Raleigh area and sampled a few restaurants during a visit about a year ago. Take a look at "Holy Smoke" an NC BBQ cookbook. Their Eastern NC sauce recipe is delicious! The book also includes the recipe for Wilbur's slaw which is perfect on top of the sandwich, if you like it that way.

Moms husband is from North Carolina and has raved about the white BBQ sauce they use on Chicken. I've always wanted to try my hand at that.

I too like the Barbecue Bible NC sauce for pork. It's one of my favorites but I have to admit that it's the only vinegar sauce that I've made. I guess I'll have to bookmark this thread and try all of the sauces listed here.

2 Qts cider vinegar
1/2 Qt catsup
1/8 cup red pepper flakes
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 Qt water
1/4 cup dry mustard
1/4 cup worcestershire
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup salt
pinch freshly ground pepper

lighten up dude! There are a lot of different flavors folks like and/or prefer in different regions. No one is right or wrong. Appreciate the differences and don't blast them because it is not what you like. Chill bro.

This is the great part of cookin, I've said it before, If we all did it the same way it would be booring!!!!!

Here is a recipe I came across for something different - a White BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:
¾ cup Mayonnaise
¼ cup Lemon Juice
1/8 cup Vinegar
¼ tsp Salt
½ tsp Smoking Rub Mix
½ tsp Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Sugar
Cayenne or crushed red peppers to taste

Preparation:
Wisk everything together and let sit in the fridge for 12-24 hours before using/tasting. You will need to allow all ingredients to mingle for the set hours above this will allow everything to mix. And if you don’t, the sauce will taste awful.

Recipe makes 3/4 - 1 cup of sauce, just enough for 1 dinner

This is a sort of recipe I have. I usually tweak it, but this is sort of "the base". I might add something extra to mingle with these ingredients, or add some other liquidy stuff at the end based on what I'm trying to do. I add salt at the end to taste. It should last darn near forever.

1 red onion
1 jalapeno
4 cloves garlic
3 oz Anchovy
1 tbsp Crushed Red Pepper
1 cup Brown Sugar

Top with good quality Apple Cider Vinegar and let mingle for a few days, then strain out the solids reserving the liquid.

Here is my recipe that I am playing around with:

1 cup Cider vinegar
1 T. butter
3 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. pepper (course grind)
1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes

The last few times I have made this I added maybe 1/8 to 1/4 cup drippings and I really like the flavor it brings to this and I think it sets it off.

This is a SC Style BBQ Sauce,, Not sure where I got this from, so can't give credit to anyone..
1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 Cup Yellow Mustard
1/4 Cup Onion, Minced
2 Cloves Garlic Puried
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Worcestershire
1/2 Cup Molasysse
1/4 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Tabasco Sauce
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar

Combine all ingreadence and simmer for 30 min.stirring constantly,, Let cool on counter. For a smoother sauce Blend on High for a minute or 2 in a blender.
I save some Store bought BBQ Sauce bottles and let then soak in the sink, have a very small brush to clean them good, and pour the sauce in a couple bottles.. I have had them in fridge for 3 months.gets a little tangier with Age.
I love this on Pork and Steaks..

OMG! No way, Dijon mustard?!, Maple farking syrup?! Phew....
That's a joke right? Had me going for a minute.

Hugh, nice to see you back. Let me fill you in about what has been going on. We respect people here. All of us. The comment that syrup is nasty is not nice. Sure I used to be an arse but those of us who used to talk to others this way have been bought out.

I for one enjoy the $455.67 Royalty check I get from the Brethren every week and I do not want it to stop. Nor am I gonna sit by and let you ruin my chances of the free ticket, hotel and rent a car Phil provides me with when we all of the ones that are "true Brethrens" meet at our time share in Barbados every quarter. Not you, not anyone!

So... stop the nastiness.

Back