Kansas City Strip Roast ?'s

BobBrisket

Reaction score
So last year, the little store in the Hood was offering these around January:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150944&highlight=strip

This week they are advertising Kansas City Strip Roasts for $4.99lb. Not as great a deal, but if the roast is a bit smaller, I'd buy one for grins and giggles. My question is, are KC Strip steaks in the same realm as the NY Strip?
Could I let's say, leave em in the cryo in the fridge for a while and let em age? What would be the benefit?

Bob

What ya'll sez?

It would be like wet aging a brisket. You might get some benefit from the aging, but I think it needs to be like for 30 days.

My understanding is that a KC Strip is bone in, NY is no bone. So, yes, it would benefit from aging, either way.

I think KC and NY strips are the exact same thing. If I'm wrong somebody please correct me.

I think KC and NY strips are the exact same thing. If I'm wrong somebody please correct me.

I was thinking the same thing. The pics I saw of a KC Strip looked a lot like a NY Strip, but I'm no expert.

The store flyer is indicating that the price is only good on 3lb + roasts, so I'm thinking these are probably not as big as the NY roasts. I'll probably take a trip over there tomorrow.

It is. My limited research on the subject is the name change came when that cut was brought to steakhouses in NY. They didn't feel that KC in the name would be a good seller, therefore the old switcharoo.

These are the same....I have a little fun with it...when I see a NYS on the menu I always ask the server " I see you have a NYS....I prefer KCS...do you have a KCS?" They always say no. I act disturbed and order something else.

These are the same....I have a little fun with it...when I see a NYS on the menu I always ask the server " I see you have a NYS....I prefer KCS...do you have a KCS?" They always say no. I act disturbed and order something else.

That sounds like something I would say :-D

Bob... Assuming the roasts look good I'd buy as many as I could fit into the freezer and cut most of them into steaks, vac-u-suck and freeze. Around here choice strip steaks are at least $8/lb unless on sale. If you can get the pack date from the case then you can play with wet or even dry aging with one or two.

if you have a vacuum sealer you can pick up some Umai Dry Aging bags and dry age them in your fridge for a few weeks. I've dry aged a whole prime rib and whole NY strip roasts.

Stopped by after work. Not what I was hoping for. Small 3lb roasts in the $18 range. I'll wait or just spend the dime on a rib roast instead. They extended the .99 sale on the double pack cryo pork butts. Gonna pick up one more of those. On the plus side, our neighbor dropped off a nice little butt portion ham! I'll smoke that puppy up this weekend!

Back