Are beef prices starting to go down

Fat Freddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I know brisket is not going down, if anything it is going up but it seems that other beef prices are starting to go down. A couple of months ago 80-20 ground beef was around $4 a pound at all the stores around us and steaks were through the roof. 2 weeks ago we went grocery shopping and ground beef(80-20) was $2.69# at wally world. Steaks were actually reasonable enough that we bought a few though i dont remember the price. i know NY strips were on sale $4.99 a pound.

So today i went grocery shopping. I know it is close to memorial day so there are sales, but of the 3 stores I went to the most expensive ground beef was $2.19# and Ribeyes were $5.99#. I love grilling some steak and burgers so I like these prices but wonder if I should stock up.

Seems beef is starting to stabilize around me, but I am wondering if others are seeing this trend and if prices are indeed starting to decline I wonder how long until brisket goes down to reasonable levels.

I'm still going thru my freezer. Recently at Sam's a whole rib eye was 146(maybe 156) and the thickness I like would have made 14 steaks. Thick Tyson chicken breasts were like
$12.99 for for 12-14 breasts. Select packer Briskets were 60-65 each. I may be slightly off on my numbers as it's been two weeks but I only bought chicken. Beef prices to me are "special occasion" only. I haven't quit beef, but right now a double or triple meat from Whataburger with green chiles/peppers/onions and jalapeños for under five bucks is a freak'n steal.

I'm still going thru my freezer. Recently at Sam's a whole rib eye was 146(maybe 156) and the thickness I like would have made 14 steaks. Thick Tyson chicken breasts were like
$12.99 for for 12-14 breasts. Select packer Briskets were 60-65 each. I may be slightly off on my numbers as it's been two weeks but I only bought chicken. Beef prices to me are "special occasion" only. I haven't quit beef, but right now a double or triple meat from Whataburger with green chiles/peppers/onions and jalapeños for under five bucks is a freak'n steal.

mmmmm whataburger. One of the places I miss most from when i lived in Texas...That and Pancho's mexican buffet.

I will second that on Whataburger, but pass on the Pancho's. They used to be good, but the last time I visited one, we were disappointed. I have to drive all the way to Alabama to find a Whataburger now! :sad: It is after all the "Official Texas Hamburger Restaurant" as designated by the Texas Legislature.

Blessings, with mouth watering :pray:
Omar

Havent looked at beef last couple of days but ribs were down 47 cents as of yesterday.

Nothing I have read indicates beef prices are doing anything but rising. It generally takes 2 years for added beef supply to hit the market due to the time it takes to breed and fatten up cows. Most likely, you are getting beef in sale. Always look at the sell by date when buying meat.

Get ready for pork to skyrocket soon with chicken following somewhat.

I think the changes right now are competitive pricing for the holiday.

You had to go there you just had to go there didn't ya that is my standard order ...... Now I want one and the closest Stand is 65 mi one way:mmph: :moon::pout:

You had to go there you just had to go there didn't ya that is my standard order ...... Now I want one and the closest Stand is 65 mi one way:mmph: :moon::pout:

Nearest 500 yards, five within 7 miles. Amen

All meats are kind of crazy. At Sam's that day raw chickens two packs were like 12$ Their rotisserie chickens off their spit were bigger and were seasoned and Cooked 4.98 each.

Last edited:
All meats are kind of crazy. At Sam's that day raw chickens two packs were like 12$ Their rotisserie chickens off their spit were bigger and were seasoned and Cooked 4.98 each.
smilie-finger.jpg

choice whole brisket at Sams here highest I've seen 2.98 lb ground below 2.00 lbs at pig wig off and on probably 75-25 really good tho

16, I know! What's with that? How do they do that financially? I will say that the store bought rotisserie chicken isn't even close to the taste of good ole' home done chicken whether it's grilled, smoked or spun. On a very personal note, I have to sit on the toilet when I eat the store bought stuff cause it goes right through me... I apologize for any offense "butt" it's true... :oops:

A pint a rotisserie chicken a bag of Doritos really hard to beat when you hungry

16, I know! What's with that? How do they do that financially? I will say that the store bought rotisserie chicken isn't even close to the taste of good ole' home done chicken whether it's grilled, smoked or spun. On a very personal note, I have to sit on the toilet when I eat the store bought stuff cause it goes right through me... I apologize for any offense "butt" it's true... :oops:

They do it by using the chickens that are about to be out of date. They cook them and they have another 7 days to sell the chickens. They also use some of those in the chicken salad, the pot pie and the wraps. Very seldom do I see whole chicken on sale at Sam's. I have seen them on sale at Walmart though.

We may see specials on beef as the summer goes along. Packers have only so much cooler space and need to move product. With prices so high, customers are buying different proteins and beef will be piling up in coolers. To move it they will discount it. Some may even be made into ground beef just to get it out of the cooler.

They do it by using the chickens that are about to be out of date. They cook them and they have another 7 days to sell the chickens. They also use some of those in the chicken salad, the pot pie and the wraps. Very seldom do I see whole chicken on sale at Sam's. I have seen them on sale at Walmart though.

We may see specials on beef as the summer goes along. Packers have only so much cooler space and need to move product. With prices so high, customers are buying different proteins and beef will be piling up in coolers. To move it they will discount it. Some may even be made into ground beef just to get it out of the cooler.

So your saying beef will come down late summer in the stores?

No Adam, I am saying that there will be periodic specials on beef to move product. The general price will stay high, but with all perishable products, it is better to sell it than throw it out.

Back