• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Where do you get your rib roasts?

smokinbadger

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm considering making a standing rib roast (i.e. prime rib) for Christmas dinner, and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to order a dry aged rib roast or but a non-aged roast and dry age it myself for a week in the fridge. I saw Alton do dry aging in a perforated tupperware on Good Eats this week, and I'm thinking this may be the best bang/buck ratio.

So what do you think? With 10 days to go, should I order up a dry aged roast which has been aging for 21+ days, or go to the butcher tomorrow and start aging it myself?

Im not a Prime Rib expert here by any shape or form.

Lemme just say this.....at the fall bash of 06 Phil grabbed one from the store and did his magic........hit search at top of the page.......

It was the best prime rib ive ever eaten in my lifetime. No aging or dry aging.

He did exactly whats in his recipe and put it on Gregs Klose pit.

Best food ive ever had.

I just pick up a bone-in rib roast from Sam's or Costco... They are choice grade. As mentioned above, no aging at all... on the pit/barrel/kettle etc... and cook. They always turn out awesome! Dry aged may be better, but I wouldn't know!

James.

As a side note What exactly do you buy to make a prime rib? Lots of stores have Bone in rib roast on sale. Is it the same?

Bone in Rib Roast, Rib Roast, Standing Rib Roast......all the same thing. If you get a boneless, have the butcher tie it up or it will spread out under the heat and look and taste like a big overcooked chuck roast.

Sams has pretty good ones. Cook to 125-130 internal and let rest about 15-30 minutes before carving. m-m-m-m-m-m-m:!:

Thats kind of what I was wondering. I picked up the WEBER book yest "charcoal grilling, cooking over live fire" On his rib roast he states he removes the ribs, then ties them w/ twine to the roast, saying it will be easier to cut. Never cooked a rib roast but want to try

Thats kind of what I was wondering. I picked up the WEBER book yest "charcoal grilling, cooking over live fire" On his rib roast he states he removes the ribs, then ties them w/ twine to the roast, saying it will be easier to cut. Never cooked a rib roast but want to try

I always leave the bones in when I cook them, partly because I think the meat near the bones tastes best when the bones are left in, and partly for structural reasons during the cook, as previously mentioned. Here are some pictures of a roast I did earlier this year:

I used the indirect grilling method on this one and it took about 1.5 hours at 325. I probably over cooked this one a bit, because I got more carryover than I had expected, but it still tasted great!

I bought a case of lip on ribeye roasts (boneless prime rib). Left them in the cryovac bags they came in for 2 weeks (wet aged) and they were the best roasts I hae ever had. Do yourself a favor and age the roast before cooking. I would imagine if you buy an aged one from the butcher you are going to pay more. So if you are comfortable aging one yourself go for it you will not regret it.

I haven't posted here for a while but this thread caught my attention.
I've done more than a few rib roasts and have had the opportunity to do comparison cooks with cryovacd (wet aged) and dry aged product. All things being equal the dry aged product is the hands down winner for full beef flavour. Cook with the ribs on; cut and retied makes for easier carving. Select, choice or prime makes little difference in my experience, prime rib has the most marbling of any beef cut so take advantage of the price difference.
I like to cook indirect to about 135º internal, then tent with foil for a good half hour before carving. Total cook time can vary, a 7 rib roast from a big beef can go 18 lb plus.
Badger, yours looks awesome!

If you have a Fresh Market store near you they have 14 day aged Hereford rib roasts on sale until the 18th. Check their site for the price in your area. Around here they are $8.99/lb but I saw a post that showed the price in other areas at $5.99/lb. I bought a boneless ribeye roast there a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic.

As a side note What exactly do you buy to make a prime rib? Lots of stores have Bone in rib roast on sale. Is it the same?

Choice and Select grades would be a normal "rib roast."

Prime grade, the most expensive, would make it a "Prime Rib."

I talk to the guy behind the butcher counter at my COSTCO and get one from Him - Dry-age myself - Slice off the bone before I cook but hold bone in-place with butcher's twine

I go to my local butcher - he gets his beef locally and it is prime - both of which I like.
I buy 2 roasts - one for the in-laws who like their beef cooked like shoe-leather - I mean well done and another one for Big Al and I who like ours medium rare.
I ask him to cut it off the bone but then retie it and have always done it in the oven (do I get kicked off the forum now?). I do want to try one on the smoker but sine I am paying a premium and it is always Christmas dinner, I don't want to experiment.
Never have aged any of the cuts I get from the butcher - so darn good there is no need to.. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

OK, i may be search challenged, but I can't find Pooh's prime rib. I found the recipie in the recipies section, but not the posts with pics. Help.

picked up on at Sams on Sat..choice at 4.19 a lb..i get them there or at costco

I have a friend at Cargill and have gotten 2 cases of Rib Roasts. 5 in each case, ended up paying about $55 per one. All are CAB choice or better, and when cutting them 3 were Prime in my opinion with the marbling.
HPIM0306ss.jpg

PA211726.jpg

OK, i may be search challenged, but I can't find Pooh's prime rib. I found the recipie in the recipies section, but not the posts with pics. Help.

Believe there are pics of Phils Prime Rib Roast in the fall bash 2006.
Look in the photo section at the top of the page.

someone mentioned that prime rib was prime beef. thats not necessarily true. prime rib can be made from choice. the usda calls it prime rib regardless of the grade.

i dry age all my own rib roasts usually 2 weeks. you get great flavor and you have less loss than doing it any longer...

070809Ribeye1.jpg

070809Ribeye4.jpg

go to your butcher and get your own and set up a dry aging fridge....once you've done it everything else will taste like hamburger...

Back