Smoking Whole Chickens

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Got a small catering job this weekend to deliver 15 slabs of spares and 13 whole chickens for a birthday party of 50 people.

I've yet to smoke a whole chicken. So at around 260 to 270 degrees, any estimate how long the birds will take to get done? Delivery time is 2:30 PM and it's a 20 minute drive to the delivery location so we need to be ready to roll at 2pm. I plan to get the spares on around 7 am but wasn't sure what time to try to have birds on by. Any advice? Also, in cooking the birds, I thought I'd baste the breasts with butter like I would a turkey. Is there any need of covering with cheesecloth like turkey? We're going to brine the birds overnight in the coffin cooler.

Spatch `Em! They'll take about 2hrs.

I thought of that but there are a couple of issues... one, it will make space more tight in the smoker (13 spatchcocked birds and 15 full spares) plus I gave him a choice - whole birds or spatched/half birds for $2.00 more for the extra work. I think he's going to choose the whole birds anyway.

2.5 to 3 hours should do the trick. I'd probably allow for an extra half hour if possible.

2.5 to 3 hours should do the trick. I'd probably allow for an extra half hour if possible.

That's cool. I should be able to get the ribs to wrapping stage before even having to get the birds on then.

Smoking Chicken

It's good you are planning to brine. It definitely is key to keep the meat moist. I like to use honey in the brine, not sure if it really makes a difference but I believe it makes the skin more golden.

I use the beer can technique and smoke a 4 pound bird for about 5.5 hours at 225.

Jeff are they going to pull them once you get themto them? We did did a part of 50 this past weekend and did 8 whole chickens (3 - 3.5 hours at 250*) until the breast temp was 165. Made for great pulling.
Have fun!

Got a small catering job this weekend to deliver 15 slabs of spares and 13 whole chickens for a birthday party of 50 people.

I've yet to smoke a whole chicken. So at around 260 to 270 degrees, any estimate how long the birds will take to get done? Delivery time is 2:30 PM and it's a 20 minute drive to the delivery location so we need to be ready to roll at 2pm. I plan to get the spares on around 7 am but wasn't sure what time to try to have birds on by. Any advice? Also, in cooking the birds, I thought I'd baste the breasts with butter like I would a turkey. Is there any need of covering with cheesecloth like turkey? We're going to brine the birds overnight in the coffin cooler.

At 260 to 270 I guess 3 hours based on the spicewine. Breast at 164 degrees works too.

But, my question to you, 50 people and 15 slabs PLUS all that chicken??? wow.

At 260 to 270 I guess 3 hours based on the spicewine. Breast at 164 degrees works too.

But, my question to you, 50 people and 15 slabs PLUS all that chicken??? wow.

You think I'm over-shooting it? I used the catering spreadsheet and that's what I came up with. In May, I did 14 slabs of St. Louis spares and three briskets for 40 people. I don't want to have them run out of food. They're all going to be adults as it's a "party" party. :lol:

Left overs are always good, as long as they're paid for. I'm sure people wouldn't mind taking some food home with them.

You think I'm over-shooting it? I used the catering spreadsheet and that's what I came up with. In May, I did 14 slabs of St. Louis spares and three briskets for 40 people. I don't want to have them run out of food. They're all going to be adults as it's a "party" party. :lol:

Yeah, maybe you will be good Jeff. If, like you said there is nobody sitting at a 'kids table' maybe this is the right amount. I get used to cooking for larger groups that are close to a 50/50 mix.

Off the record, I will admit I never really understood that catering spreadsheet (if it is the one I am thinking of). And I am pretty good with excel and it's output mystifies me.

Mine usually take between 3 to 3.5 hours to cook on the WSM. I always make sure to get rubn under the skin, cause in the smoker the skin always turns out rubbery.

Just remember Jeff, loading up your smoker with all that meat slows down the cooking time. Better error on allowing some extra time. My .02

Just the other day I cooked 6 whole skinless birds. I did them like so:

-put them in an alum pan
-placed a glob of butter in each cavity
-sprinkled with desired seasoning
-covered as much as I could with bacon
-added a little lemon water to the pan
-smoked uncovered until the desired color
-tented with foil until breasts were 170*

I did baste with every so often with what was in the pan.

They were cooked around 225-250* for about five hours or so. Can't remember.

Jeff,
3-3.5 hrs should do.

inject a little butter/a.j./fine ground seasoning into the breasts.
that will keep them tasty

Good luck!

Back