whats the smallest vertical smoker i can get away with in comps

C

chopdr230

I am trying to decide between the superior or the spicewine smoker . i live in il so i can go pick up a spicewine but the superior is a little far away . so the medium spicewine is about the same price as the ss-one after shipping . So my real question would the medium spicewine be big enough to do coms on ? Do any of you use the med spicewine in comps ? Thanks AL

There a several teams here in the Missouri area that use a medium Spicewine for competition. I have a large and love it. Spicewine service is top notch. You would never regret buying one of their cookers.

This will be my first season and i really dont know what im getting myself in to . I love cooking and just want to get out and have some fun . I have only heard good things about both smokers i am debating on . Do the teams your talking about use a second smaller cooker to do there chicken or can you fit enough meat in a med ? Thanks AL

This will be my first season and i really dont know what im getting myself in to . I love cooking and just want to get out and have some fun . I have only heard good things about both smokers i am debating on . Do the teams your talking about use a second smaller cooker to do there chicken or can you fit enough meat in a med ? Thanks AL

You can do it either way. Some people use a kettle or other grill for ckicken and some use their smoker. It is all up to you. The way our timing is set up, chicken gets the smoker all to itself. Everything else is already done.

I have a SS-One and am very happy with it. Last year, I cooked chicken on my WSM in all but one of the comps I did. This year, I have the timing worked out so I can cook everything on the superior.

I contemplated driving to pick up the Superior, but in the end just had it shipped.

Have you checked out the Backwoods smokers? My buddy just had one shipped today. It's a beautiful machine. The Backwoods Party would allow you to cook meat just for competition.

I did look at the backwoods fatboy but they do not state the thickness of steel they use for the sides and it only weighs in at 275 lbs the spice wine weighs in at 600 lbs i know its bigger but not twice as big so spice wine must be using some thicker steel . if im paying out the ass for a smoker i want it to be here long after i am . Thanks for the tips guys and keep them coming there are 2 many nice vertical smokers on the market and it is making my decision a hard one .

We competed with a Medium Spicewine. There is plenty of space to cook all the meats on one, unless you do extreme quantities. Here are the only 2 qualifications I have ot the above statement:

1) Ours had 4 racks, and I do not know if that is now the standard.
2) We did use a single webber kettle in addition.

I would be interested in it how much ? How far are you from hershey pa ? Thats where i grew up and my parents still live there and i need to goet out to see them . Can you send me a pic my email is burlesonlundy@hotmail.com Thanks Al

Big question I have is how much do you plan on doing for each category? We're cooking on two SS-2's, in mine (pork & ribs) I've got 3 slabs on two racks and 2-3 shoulders on a shelf. All fit no issue. Depending on your timing and needs, figure 3 slabs a shelf in the superior, 2 shoulders, or 1 large packer. Chicken can all be done on one.

And we love the superiors, FYI, couldn't be happier

Depending on your timing, you probably don't need as much cooker as you might think. We rarely have more than 2 categories worth of meats on the cooker at any one time. In years past, I have done an entire contest on BWS Party without a problem. Last year it was Stumps Prince, this year it will be a Superior SS-2. Admittedly, I am a bit of a minimalist. I don't think you can go wrong with either of your choices

Matt

Thanks for all the input im leaning towards the spicewine med with 5 racks . I talked to them today and they said that it will still have 4 in of space between the racks with the extra 2 racks and if my math is right that equals 2125 sq inches of space .

Thanks for all the input im leaning towards the spicewine med with 5 racks . I talked to them today and they said that it will still have 4 in of space between the racks with the extra 2 racks and if my math is right that equals 2125 sq inches of space .

you'll be more than satisfied with the medium Spicebox. I had a medium with five racks (see pic below - only top four racks showing)... more than enough space for comps.. Now Frank Sacco owns it.

only the gap on the topmost rack was not enough to fit a very thick brisket or butt as it's hard to clear the front.. but that was OK as it was not needed there. That top rack cooks chicken well to finish as it can getsgreat radiant heat off the top steel if you want to cook hot.

Good Luck !

Last edited:
I built a clone and it is 20" x20" x 30" inside. I can get 6 rack ribs 3 -4 butts, 2 briskets in it at once. then I use a Traeger for Chix. hope that helps.

I cook all 4 categories on a Superior SS-One. (5 shelves, only use 4 max when meat is in and I'm heating sauces)
If you get you timing down the Superior SS-Two would be plenty big enough. (3 shelves)

I'll chime in as I have a Superior SS-2 which I will be using this year as well but I am doing my chicken on my WSM. As stated though the SS-2 could do it all, its just timing.

Back