• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Turkey Help Line

First things first... Please don't stuff your bird with anything but air,
and maybe some herbs or citrus. Regardless, leave the cavity at least
half empty.

Next, low & slow is not your friend with big birds. Please cook at at
least 275* (300-325* is better) for food safety.

John

Last edited:
I think if you posted your phone number that would be best. Farking turkeys - Who came up with this turkey on Thanksgiving thing anyway?

I have one for you although it pertains to all the liquid that I would like to make a gravy out of but never done so. Can it be done? I have two 20 lbs birds in a pan in the smoker at about 350 and I have lots o liquid that Im also basting with. If it could be done could you help a brother out or point me in the right direction.

I have one for you although it pertains to all the liquid that I would like to make a gravy out of but never done so. Can it be done? I have two 20 lbs birds in a pan in the smoker at about 350 and I have lots o liquid that Im also basting with. If it could be done could you help a brother out or point me in the right direction.

Sure, you can use the droppings, but be advised that your gravy will have
a smoky flavor. [ame="http://WWW.youtube.com/watch?v=QxVP6CM6seU"]This video[/ame] shows how.

John

Sure, you can use the droppings, but be advised that your gravy will have
a smoky flavor. John

Just made up a small batch and got a thumbs up from both kids, Guess thats a good start. It is smokey but it still tasted better than the bottle gravy my wife wants to use.

165º for the Thigh? I know they have lowered the safe temp but I seem to always have under cooked dark meat at 175º, using a correctly calibrated thermometer. :confused:

Well, ideally you should pull it off when the breast is 160* and the thigh is 170*,
as they both carryover cook another five degrees. Dark meat is perfectly cooked
at 175*, but of course preferences vary.

John

my bird is 13.4 lbs. Fresh, organic...no injections. Is 12 hrs long enough to brine? I don't like it too salty. I plan on smoking at 150-180 for 2 hrs then crank it up to 350 to finish it off. Am I still in the safety zone? How much time overall will it take? It is 50 degrees here. Thanks!

Back