Charcoal management ???

Paul B

is one Smokin' Farker
Haven't seen this discussed before, although I haven't been around very long.

How do you guys clean and reuse your coals after a smoke???

Me, I have a 5 gallon bucket, a screen mesh, and leather gloves and just kinda rub and move the coals around to knock the ash off. Works sorta good but is there another way??? I use the 5 gallon bucket to pour the watery residue from my drum as the ash absorbs the water.
OK now, what are your ways to manage used coals????

Thanks,

Paul B

I dump the coal basket in the yard then pick up the good pieces. All that is left in the yard get mowed over. Is this not the proper way?

I just take my basket out to the lawn and pick it up and set it down a few times to let the ash drop.. I've never had any watery residue..

Umm I kind of just pick up the charcoal grate and make all shake it a little bit so the good ones stay on and the burned up ones fall through. I'm supposed to clean them somehow? I only recently realised that I could re use the stuff don't know why I never thought of it before. Before the only stuff I re used was lump that didn't burn all the way or much at all. Now I reuse everything till it's completely gone which has improved my efficiency by 4 fold, thanks to this site.

Y'all are truly a very good little comunity.:wink:

I take my Charcoal Baskets to the edge of the yard and Shake them Violently until all the Ash falls off and then add to it and I'm good to go...

If all you guys are doing is just shaking the ash off you're not cleaning them enough. I put mine in the dishwasher and let it run overnight. haha j/k.

That explains the heavy white smoke I see in Oakland. I am a shake and bake kinda guy, just rattle em around in the basket.

Charcoal basket over the garbage and shake for several seconds. I then take a few handfuls to the starter and use that to start a new fire.

Out with the old and in with the new, I never use old coals; unpredictable results.

I agree that reused coals are unpredictable at best. I reuse whatever I can.
I keep them in a sealed bucket and add about a rate of 3 to 1 new to used

Joe

Joe

I have been reusing my coals in my smokey joe, but I do tend to use all new in the SS UDS.

I was just curious on what everone did. Thanks for the replys.

Paul B

Joe

Interesting point. I usually use my left-overs as part of the initial buurn to get the pit up to temp. When I start cooking its unburned sticks only

I just dump my new lit charcoal on top of the old coals after I shake the ashes off. Works great and no weird temp spikes.

I just wait till the wind is blowing in the direction of the a**h*le across the street then shake the baskets and dump the ashes into the trash hopper!:biggrin:

I use the leftover coals from the UDS in my little grill. Tonight, I emptied the coals from "Sausage Fest '09" into the little Brinkman and cooked hot dogs for dinner while cooking a chicken over fresh charcoal and oak in the UDS.

The leftover coals smell great. Makes even just grilling hot dogs smell like BBQ heaven.

GEDC0892.jpg

Back