Batch Image
Reaction score
:shock:

Thoughts?
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/the-5-dirtiest-foods-327375/

The 5 dirtiest foods

http://shine.yahoo.com/blog/aTMkvJpS2ANIowqO7RzDZYV9NofQQTZ6D/
peaches.jpg

I never wash my melons before slicing. Push that knife right through that contaminated skin into that juicy fruit.

That just changed.

No comment about washing melons, but I don't even want to think about what is on those lemons you get for "free" on all those iced teas and other drinks. Also one of the other heavily sprayed fruits and one we eat the skin on is grapes. Highly susceptible to many diseases so they get sprayed a lot even right up to picking. Bananas get a heavy dose of anti's while in storage. Lets see - white button mushrooms grown in manure (composted but how can you be sure all of a huge pile of the stuff gets up to a temperature to kill all pathogens). I think we all need to stick to 'Q - good, safe, healthy 'Q!!!

I read something a couple years ago about melons and have washed them ever since before slicing. Not just watermelons, but especially cantaloupes... cuz you know they have all those nooks and crannies to hold in the buggy stuff. :eek:

And since I used to help gather eggs for my grandmother I also know what those have possibly been touching. :eek: :eek:

As a former produce buyer in my younger days....ive sampled a lot of melons, peaches ect.
Guess im doomed because we never washed anything.
Funny the article didnt mention oranges and grapefruit.

Some interesting items in there. The one that surprised me was in the "other" 5 and that was cold cuts...

On some of that produce, I bet some of the problems are people not washing their hands after going to the bathroom and then handling the fruit. This could be fellow shoppers, grocery clerks or the person in the packing house.

On some of that produce, I bet some of the problems are people not washing their hands after going to the bathroom and then handling the fruit. This could be fellow shoppers, grocery clerks or the person in the packing house.
Or the guy who just put the lemon on the rim of your tea glass.

Wow! I knew eggs would make the list, however melons? I think I will stick with just the melons that come in pairs...

Back