Thermometer Choices

B

BigTone

I have been looking at thermometers for a UDS smoker im going to build soon and im having a tough time knowing which is good and which is junk. I need one for the side of the uds and I wanted one for checking the meat itself, any suggestions? thanks, Anthony

I go through the walmart ones like toilet tissue, don't know If i do something wrong or what, the probes just seem to burn out on me.

Bought the Maverick ET-73 I burned out one of the probes, called maverick and they sent me a new one, no questions asked ($10 part).

Loyal to Maverick ever since.

If you want one for the outside of the smoker you can pick up a Tel-Tru thermometer. They are solid thermometers that hold calibration really well.

For checking temperatures for meats inside the smoker you can get something like a Thermapen, or a Maverick PT100 instant reads. There are some others that take temperatures slower also but those 2 are the bee's knees.

If you are looking for a single solution for keeping temps of the smoker as well as large cuts of meat. The Maverick ET-732 is a great option. It has the grate probe for smoker temps and a meat probe for meats internal temperatures. It also has a wireless receiver so you do not have to constantly walk outside to check temperatures. It also has hi/lo bbq alarm warning as well as food temp warnings so that it will beep at you should it cross the thresholds. I love this feature for overnight cookers. I can set the hi/low threshold, and food target temperature and when it warns me, I wake up and tend to the smoker.

I go through the walmart ones like toilet tissue, don't know If i do something wrong or what, the probes just seem to burn out on me.

Bought the Maverick ET-73 I burned out one of the probes, called maverick and they sent me a new one, no questions asked ($10 part).

Loyal to Maverick ever since.

That just happened to me yesterday. I burned out my food probe a few weeks ago mid cook and called Maverick yesterday to find out about the warranty and to order a new part. Despite the fact that it was beyond the 90-day warranty, they said they were sending me a new probe free of charge, no questions asked, without me even asking for them to do it. You better bet I am going to be loyal to Maverick after that.

I put a couple of cheap, Chinese made thermometers on my WSMs. They have been working well so far.
Details.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2299407#post2299407

For meat, I use a Taylor analog meat thermometer, cheap and works well.
I do have my eye on a Thermapen, they are nice!

I have a Maverick ET-732, which works well. The pit probe did go bad after about 10 cooks though, I had to buy a replacement.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I use one I got about Bass Pro Shops that is made by Horizon Smoke Company and I love it. I think I paid $49 or so for it. I am not sure how to post a link to it but I have a picture of it in my smoker build along.

As per your OP and if you want to know only the internal meat temp, it would be a Thermapen. Approx. $79 - $99.

As others have said, Thermoworks products are about as good as it gets for Q ing.
I do temps for a living and as AustinKnight said, the K's are hands down better than the resistor type T'stats. I can't speak to the drum Bi-Metal stats as I have yet to find an accurate one.

Just my .02.

Finally ordered a Black Maverick ET-732 to replace my Taylor Weekend Warrior. The probe wire finally shed it's skin. I would buy a new probe if they were not as much as I paid for the whole unit.

Back