• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Jack Daniels Oak Wood Chips

ElRoss425

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used these? I'm doing a brisket tomorrow and was wondering about the intensity of the smoke's flavor.

ElRoss425 said:
Has anyone ever used these? I'm doing a brisket tomorrow and was wondering about the intensity of the smoke's flavor.

I have used them in the past. I don't use chips much these days.
The JD chips throw some decent smoke.

Main question is what kind of cooker are you using, and how do you plan to use the wood chips?

I bought a bag once and used it in the kettle. You can smell the JD as soon as it's opened, as I believe (at least at the time I bought them) it was the oak from the barrels they used to age the bourbon. Not sure if it is still being produced and marketed this way.

It is not overpowering, fairly mild. I just thought the cost of the small bags were a bit too high and not worth the money. How much did you pay for the bag ? I recall the small bag I bought was $10+.

The bag was $5 and I'm pretty new to smoking and have a masterbuilt 7-in-1, so I was just going to toss some on the bottom and replinish as necessary.

I dont think you have to worry about "oversmoking" with the chips that way.

ElRoss425 said:
The bag was $5 and I'm pretty new to smoking and have a masterbuilt 7-in-1, so I was just going to toss some on the bottom and replinish as necessary.

You are talking about the propane-fired smoker/cooker/deep fryer combo unit, right?

What Vinnie said. The JD chips have a lot of fragrance, but produced a mild oak smoke. Just toss them in a handfull at the time and enjoy.

I use them in the Kettle and the gasser
I soak them in water for a half hour, inside the now rusted cast iron smoke box.

Get about 45min of JD smoke.

Great on chicken breasts, which only take an hour or so in the kettle anyway

I have used them in the webber kettle with good results.
Instead of soaking them in water, I suck on them for a short while to remove any remaining bourbon.:wink:

bbqjoe said:
I have used them in the webber kettle with good results.
Instead of soaking them in water, I suck on them for a short while to remove any remaining bourbon.:wink:

Good one Joe.

Maybe I'll dip in water, throw in the freezer, then into my drink instead of ice, then into the smoker box.

1 hour till Long Island Ice Tea time!!!

I've never used the Jack Daniels but I have used oak a lot since I have four full fledged oak trees in my yard. They deliver a nice load of smoking materials each year in the form of dead branches I trim out of them.

Oak smoke is mild and kinda sorta nutty in my opinion, compared to others.

Hope that helps . . .

/Brother Dave

As the others have said, I have used several bags of JD chips. They are great!

Can't tell you how to use them or how much though.

I just wish that I could find them again...

The brisket turned out awesome. It was my first one, so there are a few things I would have done differently, like trim a little more, but all in all it turned out great.
brisket3.jpg

ElRoss425 said:
The brisket turned out awesome. It was my first one, so there are a few things I would have done differently, like trim a little more, but all in all it turned out great.

That looks really good. Nice smoke ring, moist and good bark color. Some hands swear by a heavy fat cap, so don't be too eager to cut it too close. What were the specifics of the cook and how was the tenderness?

nascarchuck said:
As the others have said, I have used several bags of JD chips. They are great!

Can't tell you how to use them or how much though.

I just wish that I could find them again...

try g.i. joes. sporting goods store online. they sell them in store i know.

ps. that brisket looks delicious

ReverendRed said:
try g.i. joes. sporting goods store online. they sell them in store i know

Didn't see them. I'm sure that they shouldn't be too hard to find if I would just look. I bought them at WalMart and now they don't have them. Maybe a seasonal thing...

they had a full stock of them at the outdoor emporium down in downtown seattle.

Back