View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #10646
funugy
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBBQ View Post
OK well I smoked my first butt. BUT I had to finish it off in my oven for the last 4 hours. Not cool.

I filled up my basket with one and a half bags of Kingsford competition and about 10 chunks of Hickory. Did the minion method with the bottom of the chimney starter and got it goin. I did use a water pan. Temp took about an hour to get to 250. Set the 8 lb butt in and had to tend to the drum every 90 minutes due to temp flux. Ended up drilling while cooking to keep the temp up above 200. I now have 8 3/4" holes wide open. Started at 12:45am and by 7am the temps tanked. I looked at the charcoal basket and it was all burned up. Top was on most of the time unless I needed more heat then I removed to get something burning better then put it back on. long night

Pretty sure I am going to buy a smoker, too much time and money in this thing that I can't get to work.

I may try a different charcoal basket but man I am running out ideas here. I shouldn't need two or three bags of charcoal for a 12 hour burn should I.
Try without a water pan. Heating the water takes a LOT of fuel. What type of lid do you have? Are the vents open on the lid? Is the basket elevated off the bottom of the barrel?
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote